We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing Windows 7 on SSD

sargeg

Likes # 0

Hi, I've been running XP 32bit on my PC. But I'm about to install Windows 7 64 bit on a new 128GB SSD. I'll re-install programs that I use frequently onto the SSD as well. I'd be grateful for some advice:

1. I'm planning to leave some programs (eg my son's gaming programs) on the HDD. Will Windows 7 automatically include these in the program list?

2. I'm thinking of leaving My Documents folders on the HDD. I'll certainly leave any video and picture files on it. Can I configure Windows 7 to open My Documents folders on another drive, when I click on "My Documents" from the Start Menu?

3. Can I leave Windows XP on my HDD? Ie as long as I reset my Bios to boot from the SDD, I'm guessing that it won't affect the operation of Windows 7.

Thanks!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

1.No

2.Yes but not the My Documents you mention "I'm thinking of leaving My Documents folders on the HDD"

3.Not sure what you want to achieve. Dual boot? http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

A good guide here, click here.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014