We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free Windows Media Center for Win 8

chub_tor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have recently installed Win 8 having purchased the upgrade pro version whilst on a visit to the USA. I understand that Microsoft are offering a free upgrade for Windows Media Center until Jan 13 2013 so I have requested a product key for it. The Microsoft website promises that a product key will be emailed within 72 hours but despite making several requests going back more than that length of time I have yet to receive my product key. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did they resolve it?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Had both my keys in a short while. Can't remember how long it took but maybe a few hours. Have you checked the junk/spam folders? I used my Hotmail account.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I should say I used my Hotmail account and Live mail account I log in to both PCs.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Thanks I have used both a Hotmail and a Gmail account and regularly checke the Spam filters, no sign of a key in either of them. Will try again and wait a bit longer.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Strange, if you use the PC that you require the upgrade on, then I assume it should be automatic as Windows 'phones home' on that particular PC. Had to apply for the upgrade on each PC individually.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Just a word of warning, and it may just have been a coincidence, but I installed Windows Media Center and lost both of my optical drives. A google check revealed that it is not uncommon for this to happen and the only way I could fix it was by re-installing W8!

My advice is that if you have a back up facility use it before installing.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Key code arrived today on my gmail account, the first one that I used and much later than the promised 72 hours. It will be interesting if other keys arrive in email accounts I have used. All I can say to anyone waiting for a key is just wait, they seem to turn up eventually. And by the way the optical drives seem unaffected.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers