We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WINDOWS REINSTALATION PROBLEMS

indigo194

Likes # 0

I have a HP Compaq 610 on Windows XP, 64bit, and I decided to wipe the hard drive clean before reinstalling Windows. However, after cleaning the drive, I am booting from the CD and after installing the first part, it stops at the point where Windows would have to start installing and I get the blue screen, and the common error message "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." 0x0000007B(0xF7A2652C, C0000034). I have run a test on the hard drive and the memory, and it's all in perfect order, so any ideas what might go wrong here?????

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That would seem to be XP not having the drivers for SATA harddrive.

Like this post
indigo194

Likes # 0

thanks, so how do i find them?????? i have used this installation disk before, and it had all the drivers somehow

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You could try this, seems to work for most people:

In the bios: Go to "SATA Operation"

Change this from "RAID Auto/AHCI" to "RAID Auto/ATA"

Changing this from "RAID Auto/AHCI" to "RAID Auto/ATA" will turn off the high-performance features of the controller and put it into compatibility mode.

-or if it had previously worked no prob, it possibly could be a speck of dirt on your XP install CD so try cleaning it gently.

fingers crossed ;-) (not while you are cleaning the cd ;-))

Like this post
indigo194

Likes # 0

thanks, but I have got into bios but have no option for SATA or RAID....not sure why????????????

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What version bios do you have? Just google for:

bios: Go to "SATA Operation"

and find yours and the instructions will be there.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added