We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Product Key - where is it stored?

tallboy

Likes # 0

For some months I have been trying to load Windows 7 SP1 on my Dell Studio laptop - without any success. A moderator on the Microsoft Answers form has advised me (as a last resort) to perform a 'Repair Install' using the original Win 7 CD. The Dell Studio isn't supplied with one - just a 'Recovery' partition.

However, I do have the Windows 7 CD for my Eclipse PC. Hopefully I can use this, but I will need the Product Key for the Dell Studio installation, if I can locate it on the Dell Studio before I start the Repair Installation.

How do I find it? (i.e. Where is it stored?)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

trying to install SP1 for W7 ERROR NOT FOUND (0x80070490)

I found this solution by 'Ben-IS' dated Friday, April 15, 2011 2:05 AM (if you can get your head around it...)

or maybe you could try the repair install with a DVD of W7 that already has SP1 on, you can get the .iso from Microsoft official Download Digital River. Heidoc has page full of info and direct download links. Get the Service Pack 1 Media Refresh (SP1 U) for your version (English USA in the second block)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...