We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HTML file.

Linkslade

Likes # 0

Hi, Downloaded Windows 8 compatibility summary which is an HTML file and found it would not open in firefox. Browsed but it wouldn't open in any other programme.

Any advice welcome.

Like this post
Linkslade

Likes # 0

Hi Dr yes,

Thanks for your reply. Tried downloading it in IE. It was still in HTML and wouldn't open.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Any HTML file should open in any browser. HTML is the universal language of the Internet.

I'm slightly puzzled that you had to 'download' the summary - it should appear on your screen when you run the compatibility advisor on your computer.

Like this post
Linkslade

Likes # 0

Sorry FE I should've been more explicit.

Clicking on the Summary file I saw that 39 items were compatible and 12 required reviewing. Assuming I'd be able to review the 12 I clicked the blued out words 'Compatible details' below and up popped file not found Firefox can't find the file at /C:/users/administrators/downloads/detailedreport html.

Like this post
Linkslade

Likes # 0

Hi Dr yes,

Thanks for your reply and advice. Got to go out atm.

Will act it tomorrow and report back.

Like this post
Linkslade

Likes # 0

Hi dr yes,

I am the administrator and the only user of the PC.

Unfortunately I do not get to stage 2 when clicking on the link. I get the purple download assistant page but not the one below. The page I see is the one described above in my reply to the FE.

I'm inclined to take all this as some sort of omen and stick with Vista.

Thanks for your help.

Like this post
Linkslade

Likes # 0

Hi again dr yes,

I've taken on board your comments regarding UAC and will try this should I go down that route. I also take your point re a clean install and favour this over an upgrade.

Thanks again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014