We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Has anyone used win mail in win 8?

woody

Likes # 0

I tried to post this from win 8 but could not log in.

I prefer win mail but now i see they have moved on and prefer us to use hotmail/win live mail/ or the new outlook.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you mean Windows Live Mail I use that on W8 but they are trying to move us away from that and on to Outlook.Com.

I also have Outlook.com but get spam mail on that.Fair enough it goes straight into the spam folder now but still get to many on the one day.

My other 3 accounts I get no spam mail 2 with Live.co.uk and 1 with ntlworld.

So Outlook.Com is on the short list for removal.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"Jock1e" Thanks for the reply but I should have made it clearer - I was posting about win mail - not win live mail.

Why they decided to have so many email progs I do not know!!

I also have tried some others but like win mail for my day to day stuff. I need to have win8 working (don't like it) for testing purposes so it looks like I will have to try some of the non MS emails.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Woody, "Windows Mail" was a Vista-only e-mail client and isn't available as a separate download . The current replacement for it is available here from Microsoft and it looks and behaves very much like Windows Mail with a few extra useful features and I can certainly recommend you try it.

If you only want the "Mail" application, make sure you click the install option that says "Choose the programs you want to install" and then select just "Mail" from the list.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Hi Jock1e

"If you mean Windows Live Mail I use that on W8 but they are trying to move us away from that and on to Outlook.Com."

Where did you hear that rumour?

Outlook.com is the new style webmail interface for users with a Microsoft address (such as those ending in "hotmail", or "live" etc). Windows Live Mail on the other hand is a desktop e-mail client that works with all e-mail addresses. I'd be very surprised if Microsoft were going to discontinue it as the vast majority of users prefer to use a traditional e-mail client on their home computers.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"Secret-Squirrel " Win mail can be used in win 8 - but it may not be MS policy. I have tried,and failed, to load win mail as per instructions but they did not work with my setup.

My win live mail/hotmail/outlook looks nothing like my win mail - win mail - on the left I have a list of folders (not a list of email add's) and on the right a list emails rec for all my add's.

With win live mail on the left is a list of email add's each with a list of folders etc. Then to view i have to go to each "inbox" - maybe there are more instructions I have missed!

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"Secret-Squirrel " Win mail can be used in win 8 - but it may not be MS policy. I have tried,and failed, to load win mail as per instructions but they did not work with my setup.

My win live mail/hotmail/outlook looks nothing like my win mail - win mail - on the left I have a list of folders (not a list of email add's) and on the right a list emails rec for all my add's.

With win live mail on the left is a list of email add's each with a list of folders etc. Then to view i have to go to each "inbox" - maybe there are more instructions I have missed!

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"With win live mail on the left is a list of email add's each with a list of folders etc. Then to view i have to go to each "inbox"..."

In the left-hand pane, at the top of your e-mail accounts, click the All Inbox link in the "Quick Views" section and that'll show you all messages from all your accounts.

If you don't see All Inbox, then to enable it, click on "Views" at the top to take you to the Views ribbon. Make sure "Quick Views" is enabled in the "Layout" section. If you need to configure what it displays then click the other "Quick Views" button on the left of the ribbon.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel

Not sure if it was from WLM itself or from signing in from hotmail.

But all I got was pop ups wanting me to upgrade to Outlook.com.

I also read about it saying that they were trying to do away with WLM and to upgrade to Outlook.

Not got a clue as to where I found it but will have a look later.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Not sure if it was from WLM itself or from signing in from hotmail...But all I got was pop ups wanting me to upgrade to Outlook.com"

That would have been from signing into your Hotmail account via a web browser. Microsoft are encouraging folks to switch over the new-look webmail format with the new address of outlook.com

"I also read about it saying that they were trying to do away with WLM and to upgrade to Outlook."

Outlook has always been a paid-for e-mail client - and quite an expensive one too. I'd be very surprised if Microsoft discontinued their free WLM e-mail client.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Sorry about the above double post - it was so slow reacting i thought it had not gone.

"Outlook.com is a free, modern cloud email service " That is part of an email from MS.

I have tweaked live mail but decided to "pass".I do like to keep the MS programs when i can use them but not if they are a pain to use.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today