We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Media Player 12 and CD ripping

orsta
Resolved

Likes # 0

It's a while since I've needed help. Recently Windows media Player has failed to list ripped CD's.

After they have been ripped they show in the library listing but if I close WMP and reopen it the ripped CD is not listed. It is in my Music folder and this is set as the default folder in WMP.

I have un-installed WMP and re-installed it, tried various CD's and can not find any thing relating this problem on the net.

Can any one help?

c

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

I'm afraid this is the default action for WMP. It always opens "empty" and you have to create a playlist to play music tracks.

[WMP playlists ]1

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

Like this post
orsta

Likes # 0

Thanks for the thought Number Six, but it's not a play list I'm trying to correct. That bit works fine. It's just that newly ripped CD's aren't showing in the Library.

c

Like this post
orsta

Likes # 0

Hi Marg, I tried that as well.

My next thought is to create a new profile and see if it happens there as well.

c

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Check in services that Windows Search is running and on auto. Runs indexing and WMP networking sharing services. It also affects the way libraries communicate.

Like this post
orsta

Likes # 0

rdave13, I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know.

c

Like this post
orsta

Likes # 0

Windows search is up and running on auto start.

I did try another user profile with success. So tomorrow I will transfer all important bits over from the old profile to the new one and keep finger crossed.

c

Like this post
orsta

Likes # 0

Got it fixed. Deleted the Windows Media Players media database (*.wmdb) files, started WMP which rebuilt the database.

Started WMP a few times just to test, and all seems OK.

c

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks