We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 8 Upgrade Advisor

highside

Likes # 0

Help please, I downloaded the Advisor & then worked through its report & carried out program updates on some of the items it flagged up.

When I re run the Advisor to see if those items have been cleared the Advisor will not run again from the start it justs immediately redelivers the first report without going through its sequence which should take sevaral minutes. I have deleted the exe file from my downloads to no avail and typing into the Win 7 start globe does not produce any Win 8 stuff?

How can I get a new clean report? Thanks

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The advisor writes itself a registry key which loads the report it produced at first run. The assumption is that the hardware and software configuration is hardly likely to have changed.

I suggest that you go ahead with your upgrade. Unless there were any critical incompatibility in the hardware and software configuration you will be OK - you can sort out any minor driver problems after installation. The Windows 8 installer will want to go online to look for updates when it runs, and you should say 'yes' when it asks for permission to do that.

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

Thank you very much, It was mainly small things apart from the cost to take my Word 2002 to compatability, guess thats another story. The thing is that without the advisor its not that easy to decide if its worth it and adding some of the things up it is going to be costly. Thanks again

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

In the main it's safe to assume that any software application which runs in Windows 7 will also run in Windows 8, although you should let the upgrade adviser have the final word.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?