We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

minimising ie and crome pages

conrail

Likes # 0

just installed win 8, although spent the last few hours playing around with it the problem is how do I minimise chrome when it's open, I can grab a corner and shrink it but it opens on screen top to bottom on side of screen, I would like it out of the way, is there a way? please help

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Is the Taskbar also on the right or on the bottom.If so right click the taskbar.properties.Taskbar location on screen .make sure it is set to bottom.

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks Jock1e, the taskbar is on the right, I assume it's the taskbar, it has search; share; start; devices & settings on it, right clicking does not do anything, not can I drag it to the bottom, the settings option does not help. I have been looking here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/use-the-taskbar#section_2. also I used to enjoy a game of spider, solitaire or mahjong occasionally but they are not installed, win8 has not kept them from win7 settings, when I click on store it tells me I am not connected to the internet, which I must be otherwise I would not be posting this

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I can close mine without the sidebar getting in the way.

Sorry about that it was the Sidebar that you were having problems with and not the Taskbar.

[spider solitaire],Blue icons when computer starts and one of them will say games.You can use Spider Solitaire from that.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The sidebar on the right is called the Charms bar. Used for settings on different apps and also search and devices etc.

Possibly the reason you can't download apps is that your account you log in with doesn't have a Microsoft account. I use my Hotmail addy and password to log in to the PC. That allows me to use and download apps from Microsoft.

If you have a Hotmail/ Outlook account, try creating another profile and log in with the email addy and password.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

For the original question, if you open IE from an app in the start page then you can't minimize as you used to do. If you open IE from the desktop then you're back to a Win 7 environment and you can minimize to the taskbar.

As for Chrome, does it show on the desktop? I don't use it as I don't like it so not up to speed with how it installs on 8. If it only shows as an app in the start page then right click the app and select 'pin to taskbar'.

Go back to the desktop (top left corner) then open Chrome from the taskbar. You can now minimize as usual.

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks for your suggestions, sorry about delay in replying, win8 so slow, I mean really slow so googled uninstalling and found I needed to format so used recovery partition to get rid, back to win 7, much easier apart from chrome, see my new post here; http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/28/windows-7-help/4188919/google-chrome-just-a-blank-page/?pn=1 again many thanks for all who helped, I know where I went wrong, I should have set it to double boot, never mind. I appreciate your time and advice.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

conrail

If you decide to go back to W/8 you could use this.It makes it so much easier for someone like me but just good to get the start button and all programs back again.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/index.html

I had gone back to my W/7 computer because I was struggling with W/8 but now back using W/8 again thanks to classic shell.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Press the Windows key + M minimizes the page.A bit late for you now but handy if you go back.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launch live: Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 at IFA

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September