We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Failure configuring Windows Updates. Reverting changes.

Farleyjim

Likes # 0

This is the first time this has happened to me.(Windows 7 Home Premium). I have been onto the Microsoft support page and followed various "cures" all to no avail. I have been into control panel and gone through the windows troubleshooting advice and it tells me that it has found and fixed problems with my Windows update and installed 9 updates. When I click to restart I get the same failure message at startup.It seems to recycle the startup procedure 3 times before it eventually gets to my desktop page, and when I look ar my update history there is a long list of failed installations. Any ideas, please?

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

This is similar to a universal problem in Windows 7 a couple of months ago. It may well be that a single update is causing the problems so its best to allow only one at a time. If all the others go through, you will be able to identify which update is causing problems and we can take matters from there.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Like this post
Farleyjim

Likes # 0

I managed to get by with installing one update at a time(pretty tedious) and this way I was able to see which update caused the problem(KB2685811). Still not sure why I had a problem in the first place, but at least I can start normally now. Thanks for all the replies.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Please can you tick this as resolved.

Like this post
Farleyjim

Likes # 0

I think I spoke too soon! This problem has come back to haunt me. KB2685811 still tries to install despite me crossing it off the list in Control Panel/Windows update. I seem to be going round in circles. Is there any way I can tell Windows to ignore this update?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried running the updates manually and when it shows click on it and a box appears underneath just tick do not show this again and with a bit of luck it will not appear again.

Like this post
Costy

Likes # 0

Same thing happened to me and i tried all the above, i even uninstalled antivirus and loads of other programs, i tried to start windows in safe mode and install it that way, i got then TuneUp utilities to fix the problems...and many other things, every time i'm fixing it it works just for one restart and then it comes back like a nightmare.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Costy

The next time you get it working switch automatic updates off and see if it works ok without it.

All you have to do then is update manually every 2nd Tuesday of the month.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You may wish to keep an eye on answers.microsoft.com/kb2685811-fails-to-install-on-windows for when a solution is found.

Like this post
Farleyjim

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone. Lotvic, I did look at that page and the only comfort I get is that so many others are having the same problem with nobody being able to resolve it. I am only moderately computer savvy, but I hesistate to start playing around without properly understanding what I am doing. I hate to think what will happen if it occurs on my wife's laptop! I cannot believe that so many people should have the same problem without a solution being found.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback