We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wins 8 a mistake?

rickf

Likes # 0

Is MS heading for a disaster with wins 8 with all the problems people are encountering especially installation on desktops? Why do MS relase these incomplete OS's. Vista was the same. Wins 7 is proving to be the most stable to date along with XP.

Like this post
estuary

Likes # 0

rdave13 I have just reinstalled win 8 and agree with you that it is quite easy to use with a mouse and only requires an hour or so to get the hang of it. An alternative way to access the power button is to press alt+f4 .This gives the options of shut down, sleep or hibernate. However going into settings / power is no great effort. I agree with you that win 8 is an excellent system and once running there is no way I would want to go back.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Well just downloaded this and it is a great help.Got the start button back.All programs on it but not as good as W/7 mind you but a step in the right direction.

I set it to the W/7 theme.Has anyone else downloaded it and can give us any further tips.

Classic Shell

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Jock1e

Each to his own, but I fail to see any point in installing a new version of an operating system and promptly setting about trying to make it look like the older version - why not just stay as you were?

Personally I don't have the slightest problem with the way Windows 9 works; yes,it's different, but it took me about a day to get to grips with it, and now I realise that in fact the interface is far easier to work with, and my computer is running faster than before.

Just a personal opinion.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

The only difference is that I can find what I am looking for sometimes and then forget how I got there the first time.

So to me it is a lot slower getting to where I want to go.I bought it so I am stuck with it so best to configure it the best way I can for myself.

Only £25 so it was worth a try.

Now it only took a day for you to get used to it but you have got similar items like an I-pad and one of those fancy phones to practice on.I have an old phone which I can use to make calls and send text messages.That's how far back I am with technology.

W/7 was a doddle for me so I thought W/8 would be the same.

Just shows you how far behind the times I am I just downloaded W/8 and you are on W/9 already.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...