We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wins 8 a mistake?

rickf

Likes # 0

Is MS heading for a disaster with wins 8 with all the problems people are encountering especially installation on desktops? Why do MS relase these incomplete OS's. Vista was the same. Wins 7 is proving to be the most stable to date along with XP.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There was a similar thread about this moved to W8 Forum from Speakers Corner. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/29/windows-8-help/4183251/windows-8--not-to-everyones-taste-it-seems/

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Moved to the Windows 8 forum from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"all the problems people are encountering especially installation on desktops?"

I've installed Windows 8 on one desktop and two laptops, and haven't encountered a single problem. Each installation was fast and smooth.

There's no reason for a desktop installation to be any different from a laptop - they're both computers. The windows 8 installer doesn't care.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Personally I think it was a mistake to move this thread to the windows 8 help forum.

It's not a request for help in connection with windows. It's a comment on Microsoft and a (brief) comparison with other MS o/s's.

I'm not a windows 8 user, and so have no real reason to visit this forum. In fact if I hadnt seen this thread in speakers corner first, then tried coming back to it just now I never would have visited this forum. Some may view it as finally getting someone to come here, but thats not how I view it.

Put simply : are we not allowed to discuss windows 8 in speakers corner?

WTM

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Windows 8 would not work for me when I installed it.I had to reinstall it again without taking files and folders with me and it installed Ok the second time.

I would quite happily take my £25 back off Microsoft and go back to W/7.

W/8 is a bit to complicated for me and maybe better suited for a younger generation.

Or maybe it is me just being a bit slow on the uptake.

To me I would give W/8 a 4 out of 10 and W/7 a 10 out of 10.We do know it is set up for those that use Touch Screen Monitors so why not give the rest of us the chance of getting the start button and all programs back again.

There are other programs that you can use to get the start button and all programs back again so why can't Microsoft supply us with something like that.

But you knew that before you bought it you might say and that is true.

Just did not realise how hard it was going to be to use.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

Excellent post and I totally agree with you.

Like this post
denso50

Likes # 0

I have install Windows 8 on 3 laptops. One is a little net book used by the kids,one is a 4 year old Dell Latitude I use when traveling on business,and the other is a year old HP 64 bit I have connected to a 22 inch monitor in my office at home. All have office 2010 installed,and all work fine,faster than Window 7.All have Win8 start button installed so its like working with Windows 7 with more,but faster.I even have 7(Vista)desktop gadgets installed on the two larger laptops.There is nothing wrong with 7,but 8 is faster.I think if Microsoft were to release an update with start button everyone would be happy.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'are we not allowed to discuss windows 8 in speakers corner?'

Is there a conspiracy going on, or is it just the right pigeon hole for it...?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've been on W8 on a laptop that was originally Vista and then W7.

On Vista it was awful, with W7 it worked very well and smoothly, on W8, I have a problem in that my Kodak printer keeps needing to be re-installed as it can't see it all the time for some reason.

I also can't use my subscription for 3 PCs for Zone Alarm Extreme on it. Does anyone else have these problems?

They'll be solved in time as annoying as they are now, but it's not the end of the world, certainly not bad enough to revert to W7 and brand it a lemon OS.

I intend to buy a W8 tablet when the initial prices settle down, so I might as well get used to how it looks now.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

denso50

What start button are you using? I miss that too.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......