We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Trouble logging in

frenchman96

Likes # 0

My daughter cannot log in with her password, although the cursor arrow is in password box, nothing will type.

She has a Toshiba satellite, and o/s is W7.

She has power, I told her to shutdown, boot up and continue pressing F8 or F12 but when she navigated to one of the options ( forget which one) I told her to press enter, but nothing happened.

Any ideas please.

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Hi Frenchman, Do you have a USB keyboard? If not you might want to restart and enter the advance boot menu by pressing F8. First try the Last Good Known Configuration and if that doesn't work try Safe mode.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I am assuming that this is a laptop.

First of all have you checked that the keyboard has not been locked? I have taken this from the Toshiba satellite forum...

"To unlock the keyboard on your Toshiba screen so that you are able to type in on your log in screen, Press CTRL+ALT+Del twice on the keyboard. Type in your username and then hit the tab key, type in your password and then press enter. This should enable you to log in to your laptop as usual."

Did you try

restarting and tapping the F8 key to get into Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode, choose the "Boot With Last Known Good Configuration" option ?

Sometimes if you power down, take the battery out for a few seconds, keep the power on button pressed for a few seconds, replace the battery and power up the situation corrects itself.

Like this post
frenchman96

Likes # 0

Hi guys

No, she does not have a wireless keyboard, the f8 key does work, but when options appear, the enter key does not.

We tried the 3man salute Carl/alt/delete to no avail.

Is there a key that she or her youngster may have locked the keyboard unknowingly?

Like this post
thusau1

Likes # 0

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

There are a few different bits of information on various forums that have worked for different people.

1 - press CTL and Fn at the same time several times in a row

2 -Turn off computer, disconnect the power cord, remove the battery. Press the Power On button for 10 seconds Replace battery and/or connect power cord. Turn On computer + immediately press F2 key repeatedly Press F9 then press Enter Press F10 then press Enter

Do you have a spare keyboard that you could plug before you boot up the laptop? If so, you could try to see if this will allow you to choose the last known good configuration.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015