We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can NX bit be enabled by Win8 without BIOS support?

Batch

Likes # 0

My laptop processor is an Intel Pentium M 740 (1.73Ghz) which supports the NX (Never eXecute, aka XD) bit. However, the latest available BIOS for the motherboard does not provide access to switch the NX bit on /off.

Windows 8 requires NX to be on. I've run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant and this has detected that "Your processor doesn't have NX turned on or might not support NX. Setup will attempt to turn on NX during installation. If your processor doesn't support NX, the installation will be cancelled and your PC will roll back to the current OS". I find this to be ambiguous as to whether Win8 requires the BIOS to be able to switch on NX or whether Windows 8 can switch it on without support from the BIOS. Can anyone shed more light?

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Although no one has posted any replies, I've found this click here on superuser.com (see the bottom part of the answer) which suggests that Win8 may well turn the NX bit on (as the processor supports it) even though the BIOS doesn't include any facility for managing the NX bit.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I also found this utility (coreinfo from microsoft sysinternals) click here with more info on its usage here The Windows Club thread. So I can see my lappie definitely supports NX bit (just not visible in BIOS).

Only posting this as a matter of record in case is of any use to anyone else.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad