We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Hangs on Shutdown

masterkeaton1000

Likes # 0

Hey all,

I have a problem with my laptop (A Sony Vaio VPCEB4J0E)

Basically, whenever I tell it to shut down, it doesn't actually do so and only closes Windows explorer so I'm left looking at my desktop whilst nothing happens.

Virus/Malware scans reveal no problems.

Anybody else experience a problem like this?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You should close Windows Explorer and any other programs you have open before you shut down W7.

http://windows.about.com/od/windowsforbeginners/a/Win7ShutDownOptions.htm explains the various shut down options on W7

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Did you try shutting down from the command prompt? just click start then type Cmd now type shutdown -s -t 0

Also this could be a driver issue that keeps Windows from shutting down. Make sure you update your drivers and I would Check the graphics card drivers first. Do you have an ATI card?

Like this post
masterkeaton1000

Likes # 0

I checked Windows Update today and found 20 important updates to install.

I don't have a graphics card in my laptop, they're integrated.

Like this post
P_Mabb2012

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem when I first went from XP to windows 7.

In my case it turned out that Tascam didn't have a driver upgrade for a USB soundcard I had of theirs.

They told me they had no intention of rewriting a new driver and my 'solution' was to unplug the soundcard prior to shutdown ...... good of them eh ?

I now have a new soundcard.

Anyway, long and short is it's almost certainly a driver issue.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......