We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How does one remove certified-toolbar search ?

mtarfa

Likes # 0

How does one get rid of certified-toolbar search - I have been told it is malware. I can't find the toolbar in install/unistall control panel and I cannot reset my homepage as this toolbar has become dominant. i have purchased and tried using spy hunter software but this has not picked up the toolbar. Spybot \and kapersky have not identified it either. Any advicewill be appreciated.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Like this post
mtarfa

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the information. I'm using firefox. I've tried & bought Spyhunter however it hasn't found the infection and I've tried malwarebytes free version. Neither has identified the certified-toolbar search. The toolbar does not show up when I check toolbars and there is no url in options. I'll try the last suggestion now!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

mtarfa, take care in the last suggestion. The link seems to quiz McAfee's site advisor for some reason.

In Firefox start up in safe mode. If all ok then you will need to disable add-ons, extensions and plug-ins. Enable one at a time to find the culprit. Once removed you should be able to enable your home page to what you wish.

You will need to do the same in IE even if you do not use that browser.

Troubleshooting FF, http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode

Like this post
StevieD67

Likes # 0

I have got this Browser Hijacker on my PC too. Either it has become more sophisticated, (I.E. dangerous!), or having got rid of many trojans and viruses before, I have suddenly become stupid. It seems to disable all your Browser tools, so yo can't just remove it from that end. And when yo go into "Uninstall Programs" in windows, its just not there? or its disguised as something else? I note that one of the Ads that pops up when this thing runs is marked as "Microsoft certified", dunno if that helps? tried to download "HijackThis" to remove it, but was worried about trusting the sites? Does anyone know a trusted site, or whether this will even work?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

StevieD67 you should really have started your own new Thread with your problem (even though it is about the same thing) I have put my advice here but it would be better if you still have problems to respond by starting your own thread and not post on this old one. The OP 'mtarfa' will be getting an email notification every time someone responds to you, and that's not very fair.

I found this in the eula for Certified Toolbar http://certified-toolbar.com/eula.aspx

To uninstall an Add Ons from your Internet Explorer do as follows: Open your computer's Control Panel then select "Add or Remove Programs", Find "Add Ons" in the list of installed applications and click on it, Click on the "Change/Remove" button

Let us know if that is how it is listed and if you get rid of it. Or start your own new thread (click on Ask a Question) if you still have problems.

Like this post
StevieD67

Likes # 0

Lotvic, Thank you for your response. Sorry I didn't quite get the fact that I had to post a new thread for Exactly the same issue. Your response also included the basic instructions from the Certified website. 1:If a browser Hijacker was so intent on Hijacking your browser, would the instructions they gave you actually work? (I got this!!..........NO!) 2:I use Windows 7, which I forgot to specify, all of the instructions in previous posts involve Control panel etc etc, but when i follow these instructions there is no option to "Manage Add ons". the options you are given is to "Uninstall programs" followed by a list, on which the Certified.Search toolbar is not included. Tried Malwarebytes this afternoon, and that doesn't work either.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Malwarebytes (updated) should remove it. Also download and update free SAS. Check programs and features for anything unusual and uninstall.

Run both in safe mode. Check all ad-ons/ extentions in browsers afterwards.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If MalwareBytes does not work download this to get it to work.

Malwarebytes Fix

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more