We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I check my version of Win8?

jamie.long951

Likes # 0

How can I see if I'm running the basic or pro version? thanks, jamie

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Press Windows Key + R to open the Run box. Type in winver and press Enter.

Like this post
jamie.long951

Likes # 0

thanks but all it says is Windows 8 version 6.2? so it isn't win8 Pro?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you are using a PC in which Windows 8 was pre-installed, it is probably the basic version. The upgrade from Windows 7 installs the Pro version.

Like this post
jamie.long951

Likes # 0

Ok, thanks. It is not upgradable to Pro then? I did have a look a the upgrade offer on Microsoft site for £24.99 but apparently its not available for download in the UK - very strange.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The upgrade is available for download in the UK because I downloaded it and many other have done so too. It is available from here for £24.99.

Like this post
jamie.long951

Likes # 0

Yes, I tried it but without any luck. I pressed buy for £24.99, downloaded and run the upgrage compatability tool - went through all of that and got to the end and it said it wasen't available for download in my region. I've checked my PC settings in control panel and region/location is set to UK.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I don't understand this. I've just gone through the procedure again and, although it doesn't find/display the list of incompatible items, I can click "Next" which brings up the screen to order the download for £24.99. There is nothing about not being available for download in the UK. In any case, it is priced in sterling which would only apply in the UK.

Like this post
jamie.long951

Likes # 0

Yeah I know that's why its bugging me. I've just done it again, and same result, it does the compatibility test and lists all my compatible apps etc, I click next to buy and then it prompts me about not being available in my region. All I can do then is close the tool...

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Who is your ISP? If you have an international one, such as AOL, you may not have a UK IP address, which is how your geographical location is established.

Like this post
jamie.long951

Likes # 0

Orange Broadband..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Dell adds Intel processor to new Wyse thin client

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...