We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where is the Start button on Old-style Desktop

jamie.long951

Likes # 0

Hi,

I'm loving windows 8 and the new style, but I still need to use the old desktop now and again - I can get to it fine, but for some reason there is no start menu (with programs & accessories menu etc). When I was playing around in PC world there was. On my laptop the start button just takes me to the new desktop with tiles?

Thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

There isn't one but in the start screen (the one with tiles)right click and in the bottom click on all apps. Scroll to the right. I've found it useful to have control panel pinned to the taskbar.

Like this post
jamie.long951

Likes # 0

Thanks, I've done that. However, there definitely was a menu on the laptop I demoed - maybe not the traditional start menu, but a programs menu none the less? anyone??

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Something to look at here, though I can't vouch how well they work, I haven't tried any.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Another one.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/index.html

But like rdave13 I have not tried it either.*

Like this post
jamie.long951

Likes # 0

This can't be right though.. PCWorld wouldn't do this on the display laptops in-store would they?

For example, I have programs such as AVG anti-virus on my old-stly edesktop, that do not show up in 'all apps' on the new tile part..? So how would I open this up? There are no shortcuts/icons, so do I have to go into explorer >> program files and find the .exe everytime I want to open a program?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I run Avast and it shows in 'all apps' and has a short-cut on the desktop.

Bad installation perhaps. I installed Win 8 without carrying over anything.

Tried installing and keeping programs but went belly up.

Like this post
jamie.long951

Likes # 0

hmmm... I have a Mcafee APP in 'all apps', I open it and apparently Mcafee was pre-installed on my laptop. A quick search through program files, and add/remove programs in control panel show there is no trace of Mcafee on my laptop?!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That sounds as a corrupt install. If you've burnt the iso try doing a repair install through Win 8 or, if you go to the right corner, select settings, select 'change PC settings', under the general tab you can select 'Remove everything and reinstall Windows'. Not sure if this is good enough compared to reinstalling via a DVD iso disk but worth trying. Do not carry over any programs or docs, so you will need to back-up everything important.

Like this post
jamie.long951

Likes # 0

I have not updated windows 8, this is a brand new laptop I have bought with Windows 8 built-in. I booted up PC for first time and followed setup..?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Now you have one up on me. After you followed the set-up did you go to desktop and click any of the crudd desktop shortcut icons? During the set-up were you asked to install any trial software? I don't know about a new machine with 8 pre-installed but there will no doubt, if bought from a known manufacturer, crudd waiting to be installed. Some might be useful such as a software DVD player or burning kit. So the idea of changing PC settings might not be a good idea on a new machine. As for the McAfee app simply right click and select uninstall in the lower bar. If windows can't find it it will remove the tile anyway. Interesting.

You have a chance for the Free Windows Media Centre up to 13th Jan next year so I suggest you get the key now as it is quite handy.click here.

As for a third party 'start' program I certainly wouldn't bother but that's my humble opinion as you soon get to know where the mouse pointer goes without thinking. In your case it might be the finger pointing.... :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...