We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Startup tune in win 8 where is it?

simonsup

Likes # 0

Hi just upgraded to win8 pro from win 7 home, all seems ok apart from I cannot seem to find the startup and shutdown tunes in sounds in control panel, Have they been moved? or don't exist anymore. Secondly when I boot the pc from cold it always displays a blue Resume from Hibernation screen but is ok if I reboot, just happens when i turn on pc in the morning. Thanks.

Like this post
denso50

Likes # 0

Hi Simonsup, Open control panel,go to hardware & sounds, click sound,click sounds,at the bottom left,"Play Windows Starup sound".Also just below are various sounds,you choose loads from there. Hope that helps.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

When you shut down do you select sleep instead of shut down? I shut down by moving cursor to top right, settings, power and select shut down. In power options I've selected it never to sleep and use the high performance setting.

Like this post
simonsup

Likes # 0

Hi denso50 yeah I looked in sounds in control panel and there are loads like you said but no start up or log on and no shut down or log off tunes that I can see..

Hi rdave13 yes I select shutdown always, like this morning I switched pc on and for a few seconds there was that resume from hibernation screen again but then it seems to boot normally, does not do it on a reboot though. All my power settings are ok, no sleep on everything is set to on permantly.

Apart from these 2 little niggles I am pleased with windows 8.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you right click the sound icon in the system tray and select Sounds from the list you should get a window up with available settings.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

dr yes , nice one but the Windows start sound is enough for me. Good link though.

Like this post
simonsup

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link dr yes, most helpful, As for the hibernation screen on startup I have solved it ,it is in the power plan settings called fast start, unticked it and it worked. :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED