We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 Crashing & unistalling programs

kenlen

Likes # 0

I recently installed Windows 8 Pro upgrade from 7. Yesterday it got as far as the sign-in screen and then everything went blank. The monitor was receiving a signal but showing nothing. After a while the mouse cursor appeared & I could move it around, but that was all. Nothing else happened so after 30 minutes or so I rebooted with the same result.I tried to do a 'safe mode' re-boot, but it refused to do so. After several tries I inserted the Windows 8 disc. A screen appears asking me if I wanted to repair my computer, so I ok'ed it. After a while a loading whirl appeared with a % counter. When this finally got to 100% after 30 mins or so it re-booted. It then appeared with the screens from initial install. When these had finished I was able to get onto the desktop only to find that it had wiped off all my programs!! There was a IE icon entitled 'Removed Applications' which, when opened list all the programs removed with highlighted ones which directed me to the relevant web-site. Any ideas why this happened? Is it a feature of Windows 8? Have they removed the 'safe mode' via f8 also?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Safe mode is shift+F8 now but it does not work for everyone.

Like this post
kenlen

Likes # 0

Tried that, doesn't work. Looked at various blogs on subject all state this is a serious fault with Windows8. Had to trash hard drive & start again! then 7 new updates appeared, hope they solved the fault.

Like this post
wizzboy

Likes # 0

i feel sorry for all you folks that have put on window 8, its just has bad has vista my window 8 R.I.P

Like this post
pk46

Likes # 0

Everthing about W8 is wrong,if you refuse to sign up to Microsoft Account then a number of APPS won't work,yes you can use local that's up to you but you still wont be able to use some APPS. It is wrong to make you use there products and to have an OS that in my view is NOT MADE FOR DESKTOPS no matter how Microsft try to dress it up it's cluncky.

Like this post
thutu1

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......