We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem with start up on vista

mike59

Likes # 0

Hi,when swicthing on pc i am now getting a page which i assume is something to do with the makers software. It's titled America Megatrends and below lots of info which i as a pc novice have no idea what it means ! Basically to get to my login page, i have to press f2 then f1, but on every occasion this then takes me back to just after midnight 2001, i then have to change the time and date to the present...any ideas. ps. I did take a snapshot of the screen, but don't see a facility on here to upload it. Regards, Mike

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Far out possibility but could you have a stuck key on your keyboard? Could be invoking BIOS setup or something? Try another keyboard.

The fact that you loose the settings plus the date and time means it could be the CMOS battery, a coin type battery on the mother board which provides power to retain your settings and you need to replace the battery.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Sorry I didn't answer your first query about America Megatrends. This is the BIOS flash screen and gives the user information about the various processes happening during the boot stage.

It can be disabled but disabling your BIOS flash screen will inhibit your viewing of the boot process and could prevent you from seeing what is wrong with your computer's boot processes.

enter link description here

Like this post
mike59

Likes # 0

Thanks so much for that. I'll try another keyboard first. I've just noticed on the photo I took of the screen, that is does have the words- low battery, I hadn't seen this before, and now that you've pointed this out, it could be the problem. If you don't mind me asking, Is this a job for an expert to fix.

Cheers, and many thanks. Mike

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If it is a desktop then changing the cmos battery is relatively painless, on a laptop, it's a different matter.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?