We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

usb 2 problem

estuary
Resolved

Likes # 0

Since installing win 8 upgrade from win 7 I have one usb 2 socket in the front panel which does not work. In device manager it comes up as an unknown device and windows cannot find the driver. I have tried to put in the original driver from the chipset dvd but that did not work.. All other 5 usb sockets work ok although the 2 usb 3 ones don't seem as fast. It would have to be the one at the front that's faulty as now it means grovelling around at the back of the case. The motherboard is Asus P8H77-M PRO . I have looked at the Asus and Intel sites and can't find the solution. Any ideas please.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Buy yourself a hub. Something like the first on the list here. Ebay.

But as to your problem, do you only have one front USB port? But if the driver disk did not work, did you try installing the chipset drivers? Windows 8 seems to be throwing up so many problems, far more than there were with Windows 7, I am not sure why so many people are rushing in with the upgrade as it is really aimed at touch surfaces rather than for most desktops.

Like this post
estuary

Likes # 0

I have two front USB ports , one USB 2 and one USB 3. I have tried installing the chipset driver from the original dvd but with no success.The USB 3 port is ok. I went for win 8 as my pc is only 4 months old and thought all would be straightforward and at £ 14.99 was a good deal ? The upside is that really like win 8 as it a lot quicker and I like the features and interface.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

"I am not sure why so many people are rushing in with the upgrade as it is really aimed at touch surfaces rather than for most desktops."

Windows 8 was certainly designed with touch screens very much in mind, but it will run perfectly on most computers with ordinary screens, provided the hardware configuration meets the installation requirements.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Fe.

I thank you for the information,most helpful.

Like this post
estuary

Likes # 0

I really don't want a hub ,all I am trying to do is to get one usb port to work. Any ideas would be appreciated ?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have you tried uninstalling the unknown device in device manager then selecting the action tab and ' scan for new hardware'.?

Like this post
pk46

Likes # 0

I agree with the forum editor comments ,i tried W8 on one of my decktop computers that is 2 years old all i can say after many hours of giving WINDOWS 8 a go ALL I CAN SAY is W8 IS NOT A DESKTOP OS no matter how Microsoft try to dress it up all i can say is IT IS CRAP it makes Vista look like the top OS, and as for business use forget it.

Like this post
pk46

Likes # 0

Sorry for dual comment error on thread.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

pk46 I disagree. Works better with an old laptop, Compaq 500, than when it had Vista. Never upgrade carrying all your programs and documents over. If you used an upgrade version that is.

It's Win 7 for a cheap price if you look under the bonnet, for a desktop.

Like this post
estuary

Likes # 0

rdave13

I have done that but still no joy. It shows up as fault code 43 which is either a driver or hardware problem. As I have tried four different usb sticks which work ok in other ports then it must be the driver at fault. It seems strange that all other usb 2 ports work fine? I think I will try reinstalling windows 8 ,this time as a clean install instead of an upgrade in case something got corrupted the first time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'