We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I'm still new at this newest technology!

marie-anna

Likes # 0

OK! I'm going to try this again! Hello! everyone, I always purchased Norton 360 Internet Security every year I feel my computer is safe what I'm interested to know it seems there's always a new virus to worry about and that we haven't heard is there a BIG possibility we can expect Norton to improve each year by being prepared, ahead of what's going on, for whatever comes to try and destroy our computer!!

Also on a regular basis which Scan should I use and how many times a month FULL QUICK CUSTOM (which I certainly don't know what that means) I would also want to know why won't the manufactures find a way of taking the time to have a booklet that goes with a laptop, just like a VCR instruction that goes with it, it would be so much simple and better instead of going to retail where you purchased the computer its a REAL HASSLE I couldn't believe there wasn't no booklet instruction there is keys that I don't even know what they are.

P.S. I would like to keep my laptop as long as I can possibly can because I'm not interest to have a laptop that so complex that is confusing like I said I'M STILL NEW AT THIS NEWEST TECHNOLOGY its interesting fun BUT OH! MY GOSH

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Most instruction booklets are now on a CD accompanying the piece of equipment. In the case of your laptop it may already be on it. If you look at the laptop website there is usually an option to download the instructions. I make a point of downloading operating manuals for every bit of new electrical equipment I purchase and store them on my PC.

As far as Norton 360 goes the best advice is to open it by clicking on the icon, click on settings, click on use system defaults, click yes in the confirmation window, click on ok. This will then operate quietly in the background.

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Hi, I'm not sure where to start but lets give this a go. First, there are new viruses being written every day hence why you need to update your virus definition and database constantly. I would set your Norton to update automatically. It's like a game of cat and mouse! I personally do not bother with quick scans and always go with a Full in-depth scan of all drives and memory. Just make sure your AV software and Windows are up-to-date and I would run a scan once a week (On a Sunday while you sit and watch a bit of telly as it can take some time depending on the number and size of your drives and files). You can also set a scheduled scan to run daily/ weekly/ monthly. A would also install something like Malwarebytes and run a full scan once a week. Again make sure the database and software are up-to-date. With regards to your other question, Every OEM has a downloadable manual on line. Just visit their website and enter your model number and download the documentation. Lastly, User awareness is one of the big factors that will affect the health of your PC. If in doubt, keep it out!

Like this post
marie-anna

Likes # 0

I really appreciate your help as my title says "I'M STILL NEW AT THIS NEWEST TECHNOLOGY" I meant it, so forgive me if I ask you something that you would say
!. Instruction booklets on a CD accompanying the piece of equipment where's the CD how do I get one??? store instruction on my PC ??? how do I do this

Laptop website how do I get there??

How do I know my AV software and Windows are up to date how do I do this? if I have one

And what is OEM what does it stands for and how do I get to the website?

And you also said "User awareness is one of the big factors that will affect the health of your PC in plain anglish what are you're saying and if in doubt keep out from where? What can I have too much of to affect the health of my PC OH! one more thing I went to a retail with my Laptop telling them my speaker was not working a few days passed by when I called them I could hear my speaker LOUD I told them the volume was off when I got home my speaker would not work again still not working. By the way how do I set Norton to update automatically for virus I was just typing and when I press the key for a question mark it gives me é or É what should I do and when Ièm there see again when Ièm typing and start again the line that flashes before for you to continue to type disappears sometimes I donèt see it and sometimes it goes unto another line I hope you understand what Ièm trying to say you see Ièm I would have to type in I am

Thank you so very much

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

If you have been renewing Norton over the past few years, you can't be all that new to the technology.

Why are you only now having so many problems?

I don't like to appear too cynical, but this seems to me to be a bit of a wind-up!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Let's address the questions you raised in your first post:-

"Also on a regular basis which Scan should I use and how many times a month FULL QUICK CUSTOM"

Forget about custom. Run a quick scan once a week, and a full scan once a month.

"why won't the manufactures find a way of taking the time to have a booklet that goes with a laptop, just like a VCR instruction that goes with it,"

To save money. The instruction manual is, as has already been said, usually included on a CD that comes with the laptop. If you don't have this, let us know which make and model of laptop you have, and one of us will provide you with a link that will enable you to download a manual from the internet.

Now for your second post:-

"How do I know my AV software and Windows are up to date how do I do this?"

Your anti-virus software should automatically update itself each time you connect to the internet. Windows will do the same thing, provided you haven't altered any settings affecting the way that Windows connects and downloads updates. You should occasionally see a notification telling you that Updates have been downloaded, or are available to download. This will appear in the bottom right corner of your screen.

"And what is OEM what does it stands for and how do I get to the website?"

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. It is used to describe software or hardware that is provided to computer makers to install in new machines, prior to sale. There are some more complex aspects to it, but you don't need to worry about that. Your computer will have an OEM version of Windows installed, but you don't need to worry about OEM stuff at all - forget all about it for now.

With regard to the typing problems - do this:- Press the key marked 'shift' and the key marked CTRL at the same time. Your problem should be fixed.

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Hi Marie-anna, what make is your laptop? For example if it is a Dell then go to Dell.co.uk, For Acer its Acer.co.uk and so on. Look for the Support link or Downloads then type your Laptops model and download the documentation you need. OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer or the company that made your laptop in other words. Or to make things simple, just open a Google search page and type Documentation for "then the name and model of your laptop". Remember Google is your best friend. Almost all the time. If something is not clear or you're not sure just research it on Google. For example: Norton 360. the user guide which should tell you all you need can be found by googling Norton 360 user guide which should take you to this page ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englishuscanada/products/norton360/1.0/manuals/n360r1userguide.pdf Don't be afraid to ask Googel questions. Just put it as it is in your head! When I said "If in doubt, Keep it out" I meant if you are not sure about a link or a file Don't download it. Stick to reputable websites and and download sites. Try to stay away from Freeware (Software that is is free) until you research it first and read user review as some of these contain little nasty programs call Malware that can do more harm than good. With regards to the Virus database and definition, if you hover over the Norton icon in your system tray you should see a window with the database version. Normally it will have a number then a date. For example mine says 7664 (20121106). Just read the user Guide in the link above and it will explain things more. I would go a step further and print the document either to paper or to pdf and save it for future reference. Now for your sound issue. This could be something simple like the mute button is ON. Was it working before and if so what has changed. Lets check the obvious first before we move forward. I hope this helps :)

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I'm beginning to wonder if Nontek's comments about this being a "wind-up" have some substance. There appear to be a growing number of problems to sort out.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

difarn

I don't share that view.

Like this post
marie-anna

Likes # 0

I have been renewing Norton every year because I was instructed to do so I would NEVER do this on my own without being advice by someone who knows technology better than me since I know nothing about technology however I am learning slowly and let me tell you there's A LOT to take it in where technology is concern.

I see in the Forum I'm not the only one that has problems with any technology but we are talking about this one still I'm not the only one.

Can someone explain what CUSTOM SCAN means I want to know for education purposes

When I first purchased my laptop I was NEVER told nothing about instructions manual already on a CD that comes with the laptop "is that what a GOOD SALESMAN DOES" I knew nothing about those things so it was up to the salesman to show me!

Where is the "SHIFT" KEY as for the "CTRL" no problem the letters are clear on the key but I did go into my QUICK GUIDE to check where "shift" was there was nothing there.

I have an ACER

Does anyone have a problem when there typing you see a line that flashes and follows your typing well mine it disappears and I find it between letters from before and if I don't catch it it separates my letters until I stop it then I move my mouse to go back where it disappeared in the first place.

I also want to put a picture on my screen ex: when my laptop is open I have a picture on display screen so when I brought my laptop for Technician Services when I got home my picture was replaced with a land of some sort how do I put my picture back on the display screen I knew how but it seems that the technician has done something different because the land came from "BING"

Thank you so very much for helping me out I appreciate it

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Hi Marie-anna, I can see this is going to be a long one and you have many issues and questions. My advice to you is to Google it! As I said before, Type your question into Google and look for the answer.

It might be worth investing in a Computers for Dummies book or something similar . you might also want to check out this link for Free Computer Courses for adults

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=29040869

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone