We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I'm still new at this newest technology!

marie-anna

Likes # 0

OK! I'm going to try this again! Hello! everyone, I always purchased Norton 360 Internet Security every year I feel my computer is safe what I'm interested to know it seems there's always a new virus to worry about and that we haven't heard is there a BIG possibility we can expect Norton to improve each year by being prepared, ahead of what's going on, for whatever comes to try and destroy our computer!!

Also on a regular basis which Scan should I use and how many times a month FULL QUICK CUSTOM (which I certainly don't know what that means) I would also want to know why won't the manufactures find a way of taking the time to have a booklet that goes with a laptop, just like a VCR instruction that goes with it, it would be so much simple and better instead of going to retail where you purchased the computer its a REAL HASSLE I couldn't believe there wasn't no booklet instruction there is keys that I don't even know what they are.

P.S. I would like to keep my laptop as long as I can possibly can because I'm not interest to have a laptop that so complex that is confusing like I said I'M STILL NEW AT THIS NEWEST TECHNOLOGY its interesting fun BUT OH! MY GOSH

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The Shift Key is the one with the arrow pointing up. There are two of them. One is just above the Ctrl key and the other is to the right of the /? key

The shift key is held down to enable you to type a Capital letter (Capital letters are called Uppercase) This is UPPERCASE. this is lowercase.

Some of your cursor problems may be caused by your sleeve catching on the touchpad as you are typing.

Cursor = line that flashes to show place that typing will commence at. When you place your mouse pointer and click it moves the cursor to that place.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, so how is marie-anna managing to type using normal Capitals etc if 'she' does not know where the Shift Key is? Has had computer for some years, and still does not know about these simple things!

C'mon, I still say this is a wind-up!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Also, what's with the I'm problem? Initial Post I'm is not a problem then Nov 6, 2012 at 4.29AM Ièm suddenly becomes a problem, then Today at 3.17AM I'm has cured itself again??

... and to get Ièm needs knowledge of how to get to Character Map and how to use same!

Stinks of Wind-up!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Nontek

If you're not going to help with this that's fine, but please don't post any more 'wind up' allegations.

Some people are genuinely confused where computers are concerned, and what - to you - might seem a puzzling inability to understand concepts can be a real problem for someone else. I've met with it on numerous occasions.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

FE

Noted, but I shall be watching!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

marie-anna

"Can someone explain what CUSTOM SCAN means"

It means a scan of your computer using settings that you have decided on. For instance, you might decide that for speed you don't want your anti-virus software to scan certain areas of your computer's file system. This is not something that you should be worrying about at this stage. Now that you know what it means, forget all about it.

"I knew nothing about those things so it was up to the salesman to show me!"

Maybe, but you weren't told. It's in the past, and isn't worth worrying about. The important thing is that you can get a copy of the manual now, if you want one, simply by downloading it from the Acer website. Click on these red words and you will go to the website. Look at the section marked 'Acer notebooks' and click on the small black arrow alongside the type of laptop that you have. Then click on the exact model number in the list that appears. A list of languages will appear. Select the language you want, and click on the file name that ends in 'pdf'. Now you will download the manual and can view it on-screen.

Where is the "SHIFT" KEY

It's the one that you press when you want to TYPE LIKE THIS. It will be on the left of your keyboard, near the bottom, and will have an upward pointing arrow.

I also want to put a picture on my screen

This isn't difficult, but which picture do you want - is it already somewhere on your computer, or do you want to choose a new one from somewhere on the internet? Tell us where the picture is and one of us will tell you how to put it on your screen.

Like this post
marie-anna

Likes # 0

OK! Like I said before, I knew how my niece showed it to me but it seems since I brought my laptop at a Retail store and requested a Technician Service I had a picture already put on my Display Screen and when I got home I expected the picture to still be there instead they had put a "BING" PICTURE I tried to do it again it seems everything has been changed I guess it was updated or something was done. Yes I have albums and I want to have a picture on my Display Screen I know its going to be easy when I find out how to do this.

Thank you for your help

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

It should be very easy - simply right-click on the picture of your choice. you should then see the option to Set picture as Background. On my own it is the second option down in the tall window.

Example pic

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Sorry first link did not work ...

I hope this one works!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, the right-click Options Window will not show in my example.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers