We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't install Windows7 SP1

Charlie Mac

Likes # 0

Do I need to download and install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for my x64 system? e.g. will it be necessary if I choose to upgrade to Windows 8 ?

My HP VG247AA-ABU p6217uk was purchased on 24/12/09 with Windows 7 pre-installed and I have taken updates automatically almost daily since then with the exception that SP1 download and installation fails consistently since it first became available.

I have taken up this issue with PC World and with HP and they did try to help without success. I then contacted Microsoft and they reached the conclusion as follows:-

“I am sorry to hear that the issue persists after performing our previous steps. Based on the further research, I noticed that our issue may be caused by the corrupted system files. Based on this situation, I suggest we perform an In-place Upgrade to repair the corrupted system files. I would like to explain that the In-place Upgrade is a tool to repair the system. Through the special upgrade process, we will be able to repair the system. The In-place Upgrade will not affect settings like photos, movies, documents, etc. that are saved on the computer. However, it is recommended to first backup your important information and files to other partitions or other disks. Then please perform the following steps: In-place Upgrade ============= 1. Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD in the computer's DVD drive. 2. Click Start and choose Computer. 3. Please find the "setup.exe" file in the DVD-ROM and double click it. 4. Click Install now. 5. If we are prompted to input the product key, please click Next without inputting any key. The setup wizard will prompt and ask if you agree to install Windows 7 without the key. Please choose to confirm. 6. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the system files of Windows 7. Note: While performing the In-place Upgrade, the system will restart automatically (several times) to merge the files and programs. Please leave the computer alone and do not configure it until In-place Upgrade is completed. The system will start Windows 7 once it is upgraded. When the In-place Upgrade finishes please restart the computer and go to Windows Update to test the issue again.”

Would you agree that this solution has a fair chance of success? My Pc seems to be working OK at present and I have hesitated since I will need to purchase a Windows 7 Installation DVD.

Charles McCaul

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The Upgrade/Repair suggested by MS should work but will take some time. Given that this problem appears to be System file related I am surprised they didn't suggest using SFC /Scannow first as it will check the files and repair as necessary.

I would suggest you download the W7 SP1 file, run sfc /scannow and then try to install SP1 from the download. There is a bit of information on installing SP1 here.

If you still have problems with the installation then try the MS fix.

Like this post
Charlie Mac

Likes # 0

John, I am very pleased to receive your responce.Unfortunately your first suggestion dose not work.The windows update window shows update downloading but indicates no progress and gives up after about 10 minutes and shows error code: 80073683 and the comment, ".....encountered an unknown error".My system repeates this daily without success. I should have made it clear that my post indicated the final response from Microsoft after making several attempts to correct the situation. I have now run sfc scannow and no problems are detected. regards Charlie

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Hey buddy, did you try a manual install of SP1?

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I suggest you download the official MS W7 .iso and burn it to DVD using a program like the free Imgburn program which burns .iso image files.

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

Scroll down to the middle section to the USA english language SP1 U (media refresh) Then you will have an install DVD that already has SP1. You should be able to use that for the upgrade instructions that MS gave you.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

If SFC /Scannow found no problems and you still are unable to download the file, or as lotvic suggests, the official MS W7 .iso, it may be worth attempting a System Restore to an earlier point where updates were working correctly. Your existing data will not be affected as only W7 operating files will be taken back to the earlier date - you may need to reinstall some updates after Restoring though, it depends how far back you go.

If you still fail to be able to update you will need to follow the advice provided by MS.

The MS process will carry out what used to be known as a "Repair Install" in XP. A better set of words can be found both here and here which will walk you through the process. Again you should retain all data files as only the W7 OS should be affected, however it is always good practice to backup data whenever carrying out this type of operation.

Like this post
Charlie Mac

Likes # 0

Jamieamunra, Yes I have tried a manaul download,without success. Thank you also for your Windows8 link.

lotvic,

The download link that you have provided has been blocked by "Norton" as a "malicious web page"; would you suggest that I ignore this warning.

Charlie

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Don't know what settings you've got but http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=heidoc.net says OK completely clean.

Like this post
Charlie Mac

Likes # 0

My system is actively showing "Please wait while your Windows files and settings are being restored". "System Restore is restoring the Registry" It has been running for nearly 2 days. Please, any suggestions will be very welcome.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Don't think system restore was a good idea as it could take you back to when you installed W/7 and it may still not work.And you could loose a lot of programs that you have installed.Maybe run it again and choose to go back to

I had the exact same problem when trying to download SP1 and it took me almost 2 months before I managed to get it installed.I managed in the end to download it but not from microsoft and not sure which program I used now.

I do know that you will have to go to disk clean up and run that to remove all failed downloads of SP1.it should do it automatically when you run it but you may have to tick the proper box to remove it.

Now if you could download SP1 from a 3rd party site without running it and go into safe mode and install it on there and see if that will work.

I can say there used to be a pre SP1 install program that you could download from Microsoft to make sure that SP1 would install on your computer but not sure if that is still available.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good