We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 SP1

Charlie Mac

Likes # 0

Do I need to download and install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for my x64 system? e.g. will it be necessary if I choose to upgrade to Windows 8 ?

My HP VG247AA-ABU p6217uk was purchased on 24/12/09 with Windows 7 pre-installed and I have taken updates automatically almost daily since then with the exception that SP1 download and installation fails consistently since it first became available.

I have taken up this issue with PC World and with HP and they did try to help without success. I then contacted Microsoft and they reached the conclusion as follows:-

“I am sorry to hear that the issue persists after performing our previous steps. Based on the further research, I noticed that our issue may be caused by the corrupted system files. Based on this situation, I suggest we perform an In-place Upgrade to repair the corrupted system files. I would like to explain that the In-place Upgrade is a tool to repair the system. Through the special upgrade process, we will be able to repair the system. The In-place Upgrade will not affect settings like photos, movies, documents, etc. that are saved on the computer. However, it is recommended to first backup your important information and files to other partitions or other disks. Then please perform the following steps: In-place Upgrade ============= 1. Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD in the computer's DVD drive. 2. Click Start and choose Computer. 3. Please find the "setup.exe" file in the DVD-ROM and double click it. 4. Click Install now. 5. If we are prompted to input the product key, please click Next without inputting any key. The setup wizard will prompt and ask if you agree to install Windows 7 without the key. Please choose to confirm. 6. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the system files of Windows 7. Note: While performing the In-place Upgrade, the system will restart automatically (several times) to merge the files and programs. Please leave the computer alone and do not configure it until In-place Upgrade is completed. The system will start Windows 7 once it is upgraded. When the In-place Upgrade finishes please restart the computer and go to Windows Update to test the issue again.”

Would you agree that this solution has a fair chance of success? My Pc seems to be working OK at present and I have hesitated since I will need to purchase a Windows 7 Installation DVD.

Charles McCaul

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Repeated thread post.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8