We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Desktop icons split into two groups on different screens

OCRT

Likes # 0

I have a powerful Gateway computer that drives two monitors directly and three additional monitors via Diamond USB to VGA converters.

After installing Windows 8, I find that my desktop icons have been divided into two groups and displayed on two separate monitors. My main screen has half of the icons and the other half are on a different screen.

I can laboriously move each icon from the different screen to the home screen and resort. But when I reboot the computer, they are again split into two groups and shown on two screens.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Do you have the taskbar showing on both monitors? I'm not sure if this will work, but you can set your display so that the taskbar only shows on your 'primary' monitor. It's worth a try, just to see if it fixes the problem.

If you right click on the taskbar and select 'properties' you can play around with the settings. I haven't encountered your particular problem so far, it's still early days, hence my lack of knowledge regarding a quick fix.

Like this post
OCRT

Likes # 0

I tried your suggestion. It didn't work.

Since then, the problem has gotten worse. I downloaded a few additional programs. The system placed the icons for these programs on my main monitor. That means that my desktop icons are now spread across three monitors.

I would love to be able to return to Windows 7 but apparently this is a very time consuming task. I'd also love to be able to get a refund of my purchase of Windows 8, but I gather this is out of the question.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

OCRT - At least i can make a (Clean) suggestion for win 8 - sell it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room