We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 first install impressions

estuary

Likes # 0

installed win 8 late yesterday. The install went quite well although the on screen instructions were not as clear as I would have liked. I did an upgrade from win 7, keeping files, settings etc as I thought a it would be easier to get to grips with the new operating system.I was surprised that the drivers for my graphics card and printer did not work properly but soon rectified this by downloading new ones from the manufacturers sites. Also Trusteer Rapport required an upgrade.Apart from that it only took about an hour to sort it all out. For the next hour or so I played around with it and found to my pleasure that it was very intuitive and soon got used to navigating with the mouse and keyboard shortcuts. Keyboard shortcuts are well worth learning. My only problem at the moment is that one usb 2 socket does not work, all other five are ok. In device manager all usb drivers are shown as working correctly? My general impression is that once you get familiar with a new way of working and more drivers come on line then I think it is well worth doing . Also the pc is a lot quicker.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

estuary

Full scan with Eset Smart 5 took 10minutes 50 seconds.Just doing a scan on my windows 7 computer and so far 1hour and 5 minutes have passed and it is still running.

Knowing all the shortcuts has to be a great help,I know how to do that to get into taskmanager and that's about the only one I know.

Just in case you have not tried it yet,Right click the box on the bottom left of the toolbar and it gives you a lot of options.

Good luck with W/8.I must admit I am on my other computer just now using W/7 and find it a lot less stressful than W/8,Everything is where you expect it and you don't have to think how you are getting to wherever you want to go.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...