We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Safe mode using Windows 8

Jock1e

Likes # 0

Holding down the shift button and tapping F8 is supposed to get you into safe mode at start up.

It does not work on my computer, anyone find the correct way of doing it.I know that you can do it from msconfig, thats Ok if the computer is working properly but not great if it does start properly.

I also know that you can do it by changing the registry but I was hoping that there would be a simpler method.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13

Yes I have to agree I have tried very near every combination without any luck.

I wonder if you can contact Microsoft themselves they usually give you free advice with new versions of Windows.

Might try that tomorrow if I have a bit of spare time.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Jock1e , I would appreciate your offer of contacting Microsoft on our behalf.

Make sure you create images to what ever stage you get to as that can be a godsend. Paragon updated their 12 version from my download account but only after I had to contact and resolve the problem.

Win 8 is totally different to 7 in HDD management.

Many thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Jock1e , I would appreciate your offer of contacting Microsoft on our behalf.

Make sure you create images to what ever stage you get to as that can be a godsend. Paragon updated their 12 version from my download account but only after I had to contact and resolve the problem.

Win 8 is totally different to 7 in HDD management.

Many thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Double post, apologies.

IE10 no different then.

If a browser problem.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Do not fancy my chances searched tonight and never found out how to contact them.

After reading this post I have my doubts that it can be fixed.

This post went from January to June then fell quiet so just wondered if they actually stopped taking complaints.

Microsoft

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Jock1e , just realised, that Windows 8 starts in safe mode anyway. Then boots the Computer to a useful desktop. Something to do with the new non-bios bios N something or other to do with Apple, errr.., Microsoft tied in protocol/ I don't really know but looks good/bad.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...