We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Safe mode using Windows 8

Jock1e

Likes # 0

Holding down the shift button and tapping F8 is supposed to get you into safe mode at start up.

It does not work on my computer, anyone find the correct way of doing it.I know that you can do it from msconfig, thats Ok if the computer is working properly but not great if it does start properly.

I also know that you can do it by changing the registry but I was hoping that there would be a simpler method.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I haven't had a chance to find out about this yet, but you could try the following - it worked on the last beta copy I tried:-

1. Use the Search Box to search for Advanced Startup, then click on that option.

2. Click on 'Restart Now' under Advanced Startup.

3. Click on Troubleshoot.

4. Click on 'Advanced Options' in the Troubleshoot menu.

5. Click on 'Windows Startup Settings' in the Advanced Options menu.

6. Click on Restart button.

7. Choose Safe Mode from the boot options screen.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

That works ok when you are connected to W8 but it still does not let you start in safe mode from boot up.

Just thought that if I ever had problems how would I fix it if I can't get into safe mode.

No doubt there will be a way round it just finding it is the problem.

It does work your way and you can do it from msconfig but if you can't get into W/8 it may be difficult to get a fix.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

Afraid not.Shift and F8 does not work and the other two methods you have to have W/8 open to start them.

Just wondered how you would get into safe mode if your computer does not boot up properly.Or if your computer does not boot up properly how do you get into safe mode to fix it.

I know that there is a method that you can use in Command prompt that is supposed to fix it.Does the Shift and F8 work for you.It does nothing for me.

Like this post
Bapou

Likes # 0

Following on from the methods you have tried take a look at this guide.

The first two solutions you have already tried, so scroll down until you reach this comment: "Usman provides another way in his article “How To Enable Windows 8 Safe Mode” published at AddictiveTips: using Boot Configuration Data (BCD) Edit command." Perhaps this third solution may help you.

At present I'm still deciding whether to upgrade from Windows 7, hence my interest in these problems with 8. So far, it could be a case of staying put.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Jock1e

Just tried the shift + F8 and all I got was boot choice, which HDD or DVD drive to choose from.Which is odd as I can just tap F8 to get that option which I need as I have Windows 8 on a separate SSD. I will look into this safe mode problem,I must admit I cannot remember the last time I used safe mode but you never know,I might need it in the future.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Bapou

Yes seen that one earlier and I have bookmarked your one which I may try in the near future.

No doubt I will make a mess of it but will wait and see if Microsoft comes up with there own fix for it.

Chronos the 2nd

I get nothing at all when using Shift and F8 maybe I am using the wrong shift.I use the shift button straight above Ctrl is that the correct one.

Just noticed another one on the other side of the Keyboard so going to try that one and see if it makes any difference.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Nope that did not work either but rdave13 thinks it maybe down to the Foxconn mother boards that we use.

Not sure how we would deal with that one.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Jock1e , I'm going to reboot a few times just to see that when you get the black screen, just before the Windows blue image appears, and see if I can get to the advanced screen by pressing both keys and not the old way of tapping.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Same as other post, unfortunately, 'Tried allsorts but not available. If I press and/or tap the keys again, any harder, then I'll need a new keyboard.. lol.'.

But there must be a way of doing it with different mobos?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer