We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Your first hour with Windows 8

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

I found this article which may be of interest to any who are going the W8 route.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thank you - very useful, and worth bookmarking for anyone who contemplates taking the plunge.

Like this post  
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm on my first hour now, due to believing that I couldn't install W8 because the W8 assisant flagged up the secure boot problem that isn't a problem.

I'm quite liking it with no problems. At first I missed the traditional start button, but after discovering that the Logitech software having updated itself for W8 for my Touchmouse 600 I find it works fantastically well with W8. I didn't realise when I bought it last month, it was designed to work best with the new Windows start page screen, and together they work very well by giving the touchscreen feel to the none touch PC screen.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I would even say to those that think it's not a good desktop/office OS, that the touch mouse makes it so.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

john thanks for posting trying to gen up on w8 in prep for a new laptop.

had a play in pcw what a dogs dinner w8 is, looks like windows has been dumbed down for the chav population, an insult to normal users.

can the comp boot direct to desktop or is it wait for the metro screen and click desktop. I take it there is no way to disable the metro screen.

was told no need to turn off w8 just close lid of laptop and it goes into auto standby untill opened again.

quickbeam tried your mouse link saw the web page but the vids do not play [white screen with music only] so lost on how it works.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Mine boots straight to the desktop without metro.

And having a bit of a memory loss I can't quite remember how I did it.

I use this but not sure if that is how I did it.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

To answer a couple of points Metro can be bypassed by the use of third party software such as classic shell

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia