We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

.NET Framework install location ( some programs can't open because of it )

Floopp

Likes # 0

When I try to open some programs I get the error: please set registry key hklm\software\microsoft.netframework\installroot to point to the .net framework install location

I've tried going to regedit and pointed the installroot to the .net framework install location but it doesn't recognise it, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple versions of .NET framework and it still won't work.

The installroot is set to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v3.5 right now but I've tried C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64 , C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET and all sorts

Thanks for any replies.

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Hey there, did you try the .Net cleaning tool to remove all versions of .Net then reinstall it again?

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Like this post
Floopp

Likes # 0

If by cleaning tool you mean this Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Then yeah I've tried it but all it said was to make these two changes:

"Reregister Windows Installer service Unregisters and re-registers the Windows Installer service using MsiExec.exe. Applicable regardless of the diagnosis results.

Restart Windows Installer service Stops and restarts the Windows Installer service. Applicable regardless of the diagnosis results."

I've done that twice but nothing changed, doesn't give an option to uninstall .NET.

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

No I mean the Automated cleanup tool to remove the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx

Like this post
Floopp

Likes # 0

By the way which version of .NET framework should I install again?

4.5, 4, 3.5 or maybe 3?

Like this post
Floopp

Likes # 0

I used the cleanup and installed .NET framework 4.5, it didn't solve anything though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...