We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

disk management problem in vista homepremium

registered

Likes # 0

Can anyone tell me how to enlarge the disk space when using an external disk connected via usb?I am running out of disk space.My current hdd is 80gb and i have bought another that is 320gb.I have used a programme called HD CLONE and managed to copy the entire 80gb. But the copy seems to have restricted the space on the 320gb disk to exactly the same as the on the 80gb.I had hoped to replace the existing disk but i don`t know how to transfer the existing disk to the new one and gain the extra space.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Good advice here about Vista disk management.

Like this post
registered

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link RDAVE 13 will have look.

Like this post
registered

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply ljmichael and the link.That programme is the very thing i was looking for.It was very easy to use as well.I have now managed to increase the free space on the c drive as the partitions were equally allocated between c and d. Hopeing now to swap the hdd for the one installed in my laptop.

Like this post
registered

Likes # 0

New problem with my recently cloned hdd.The cloned hdd has the same partitions as the hdd in my laptop but now with increased space available which was the intention as i had hoped to clone the entire disc and replace it with a larger one.The problem now is that connecting the cloned hdd via usb and changing the boot sequence to check it first(rather than just go and swap it over )i cannot get the clone to boot.I am not looking to use the cloned hdd on another laptop or desktop just a replacement for my existing hdd.Can anyone help?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As you haven't got a boot manager then you will need to physically swap the drives in the PC. Although trying to boot from the usb drive, bios is seeing two OSs.

Like this post
registered

Likes # 0

Thanks for that rdave13 i will look into swapping the hdds.

Like this post
registered

Likes # 0

chunhat i had an e-mail notification that you posted a reply to my query but cannot find it.can you repost?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia