We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft Windows 8 Media Player Addon for Free!

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Usually a £10 addon for windows 8, but they're giving keys away for free for a limited time which you can add to your Microsoft account.

Get it here.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thanks for that - a useful link.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

Thanks for that just waiting for my E-mail back from them.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronos.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

Please be aware that the add on is Media Centre NOT Media Player All versions of windows 8 except the N versions come with Media Player what Microsoft did was to cut Media Centre out of Win8. Please also remember that Win8 can not play DVD's any more they cut that out of it as well you will need a separate player fro DVD movie playback, VLC is probably the best free player Media Centre can however play DVD's

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I got my free download and after I had installed it I lost both of my optical drives.

I don't know if it was Media Center that caused it but it seems to be a fairly common problem with Windows 8 from which I could not recover.

Luckily True Image works ok ;-)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks for the warning Pine Man. I installed VLC, though to be fair, Windows complained. VLC wouldn't open and browsers wouldn't either. Rebooted and got a small blue screen of death, IRQL not less or equal one, so it searched for a fix. Uninstalled VLC and back to normal. Running VLC as an app now. Have to start the .exe file and works OK for any video.

I've also got a Paragon image to fall back on. Wonder why shift+f8 doesn't bring safe mode up. I think Jock1e and I have the same make of mobo (Foxconn) and same problem. I've tried other F keys but no luck.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13

It is a Foxconn.

Never thought about it being down to a motherboard.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Jock1e , those are my thoughts. I can't get it right but some posters say you need to press both SHIFT key and F8 key simultaneously (not tap as before) just before the blue Windows logo.

Pine Man , installed ok on desktop with no problems though the quality seems lacking to me.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Tried allsorts but not available. If I press and/or tap the keys again, any harder, then I'll need a new keyboard.. lol.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more