We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 - not to everyone's taste it seems

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Though written shortly before the Windows 8 launch, this person lists the reasons why he thinks the latest OS is, in his words, a catastrophe. I've been contemplating an upgrade myself, but his expressed opinion leaves me very uncertain.

Does anyone here agree or disagree with his findings?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

Your two identities have different email addresses associate with them - perhaps you entered the first one in error?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

FE

Perhaps. Ah well, I am using Win 8 with IE 10 so I suspect you are correct. But the reason for changing my user name was because of the logon difficulties associated with this forum a few weeks ago.no matter.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"I haven't managed to get a copy of the final release version out of Microsoft. "And you do not think it is worth £25!!

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

It was my early days when I became interested in computers, I cant remember the date date but I bought a PCA magazine.

The issue number was 7 on the mag.

When I eventually got on line I looked up PCA joind the forum and was then known as Diget.

Back then I didn't really know what i was talking about when things went wrong, I would describe as best as possible and always managed to sort things out with the help of the forum.

Its been a very informative site and I picked a lot up on PCA over the years.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Sorry wrong thread getting old confused etc.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Sorry wrong thread getting old confused etc."

Thank God!

Thought it was me!

Like this post
BSOD

Likes # 0

I have just migrated from XP to windows 7. This is because my old XP laptop has given up the ghost and the family had bought me a new one with 7 pre-installed.

The old laptop did give you a copy of Vista at a cost of P&P when new. I tried it for 6 months and went straight back to XP. Windows 7 seems to be OK so will stick with this till this machine goes to the great recycling centre in the sky.

We did buy our college student daughter a win 7 laptop to replace her broken ibook, don't know if that has the upgrade voucher to 8, in it.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Neighbour 'upgraded' from W7 to W8. After a load of updates installed, laptop stuck on 'Please wait while windows configures updates ' etc after reboot. Nothing happened after 10 hrs. With the absence of the F8 facility to get into the advanced startup options, I could find no way to sort it out. Luckily, the HP recovery partion was still there , so a restore to factory (ie W7) settings was available through F2. Not sure what could be done otherwise?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Had the same sort of bother got to the end of the install and went onto a black screen.

Shut down and tried safe mode which does not work and it started normally but with the black screen again.Ctrl Alt Del worked which got me into Task manager and from there into safe mode.

In the end I had to reinstall it again without the files and folders.

So not sure what would happen if your computer will not start properly and you can't get into safe mode as it does not work.

AskVg will give you your start button and all programs back again I did try it and it works but I removed it again later in case it caused any problems.

Also a good tip I found was to right click the little box on the bottom left of the Taskbar and it shows a lot of programs that you can get to with a click of the button.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just tried a few more times and you can't get into safe mode using W/8

Is there a different way of doing it or will we all have to use the likes of Acronis for back up.

F8 or F5 does not work but you can still get into the Bios.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone