We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 - not to everyone's taste it seems

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Though written shortly before the Windows 8 launch, this person lists the reasons why he thinks the latest OS is, in his words, a catastrophe. I've been contemplating an upgrade myself, but his expressed opinion leaves me very uncertain.

Does anyone here agree or disagree with his findings?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Installed it on 'day one' and been using it ever since.

Easy to install and much faster than Windows 7 but a bit frustrating when, for example, they hide the shut down button etc.

Everything that I have installed works perfectly and now that I have found the rest of the stuff that Microsoft has hidden I am very happy and completely sold on it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Pine Man

That's good to hear. It's interesting how, when a new Windows version is released, different people have totally different stories to tell. It's always like that.

Windows 8 contains millions of lines of code, and was tested more thoroughly than any software in history before launch. It should run smoothly on any computer that is compatible, and with any compatible software combination.

What makes the difference in the end is whether individual people like it or not, and you can't really test for that.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I think what it is is that it is a complete change to what we have been used to.

We have something completely different and we have to find out how it works.

For those of you that use Modern iPods i-pads i-Phones and all the other latest gadgets it should be a walk in the park.

But for me I am that bit slower on the uptake.I am getting there after using it for 24 hours, maybe after a week I might have it mastered.

Like I said it is nothing like XP Vista or W/7 and it is complicated to start with, it is just finding out how to get it to work the way you want it to and that takes a little bit of time.

For £25 it has to be worth trying.You might like it you might not,But you will never know unless you try.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Jock1e

"For those of you that use Modern iPods i-pads i-Phones and all the other latest gadgets it should be a walk in the park."

Not really, because Windows 8 doesn't run on those devices - they're made by Apple.

Your attitude of You might like it you might not,But you will never know unless you try. is commendable, but it's one that lots of people don't share. They decide that they'll stay as they are, and that's fine - they'll be the ones that tend to adopt new things later, when they've been thoroughly tried and tested by their peers.

It always happens that way, and it will probably be more likely with Windows 8 - it's the tiled interface that deters people who don't have a touch screen display.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I own a touch screen one of dells all-in-one units used the touch screen for less than a fortnight and never used it since.

That's about 7 months ago so I reckon win OS 8 isn't for me much prefer mouse and keyboard control.

I am typing on my old Vista laptop now its as quick as the Dell on start up, but I do like the win 7 OS.

Maybe we will be forced into using apps as our OS in the future I may come round into the new way in a few years.

Or would it be best to have Win 7 and Win 8 on one PC and get used to 8 at my speed. I dont want to upgrade and wipe OS 7 off so is it possible to have both.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

"For those of you that use Modern iPods i-pads i-Phones and all the other latest gadgets it should be a walk in the park."

I only said that as an example, As they use those other type of gadgets they are more likely to understand how W/8 works.

I have never used any of them so using W/8 is a bit harder for me to understand.

Now you should have had your W/8 delivered by now.let us know how you get on with it or have you already tried it before on another computer.

Like I said it is completely different to what we are used to.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm usually quite quick to buy/adopt new devices but do tend to leave upgrading of OS's until I get a new system. I have liked every Windows OS from 3.1 to W7 (including Vista- although that was the slowest to boot) but I am put off by the W8 interface. I have a tablet and smartphone and have used a touchscreen on these devices for years and like apps but there is something about W8 which makes me say I'll definitely wait. Perhaps it is because I find W7 to be really good.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Now you should have had your W/8 delivered by now.let us know how you get on with it or have you already tried it before on another computer."

I was involved in testing the beta versions, but - so far - I haven't managed to get a copy of the final release version out of Microsoft. In the old days it was never a problem, but things are somewhat different now.

You'll be the first to know when I finally get an installation running.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have it installed on a secondary SSD so can boot either to Windows 7 on one SSD or 8 on another. I must admit the first thing I did was to add a start button. Classic shell Really do not know why Microsoft left this out. So far I have only had a brief look about and as FE stated it was mainly designed for touch screens so I presume that is what the apps are aimed at. I hate them and my version of Windows 8 boots to a reasonably normal desktop. But I cannot see me changing my PC's to the new OS any time soon as Windows 7 is pretty good for me and everything works as I want it.

We shall see as time goes on.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have, for some reason posted here in my old title and not my new which is Chonos the second very odd.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......