We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 upgrades - important licensing terms

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

One of the threads in this forum raised a question about whether, when you buy the upgrade version of Windows 8, you can then install your previous Windows version on another computer.

There was some confusion about this, and I wasn't too sure myself, because Microsoft has made quite a few changes to its licensing terms with Windows 8. I have now checked with Microsoft, and the definitive answer is no.

This is what they say:

"The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way."

Which means you may as well throw the previous version DVD in the bin.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"Which means you may as well throw the previous version DVD in the bin." Do not do that - you might need it.

Like this post
jackladd

Likes # 0

and just how does microsoft expect to police this scenario . I currently run windows XP (64BIT) Vista (64 and 32bit) windows 7 (64bit) and windows 8 Proffessional (64bit) on the same PC via HyperOS 2012, all are currently activated (legally ) and all are working fine ,with windows update working ,and MSS installed and working too .

Like this post
jackladd

Likes # 0

whoops sorry .mine are all full versions .no upgrades .

Like this post
estuary

Likes # 0

Do I understand it that you can't go back to Win 7 on the same PC ,with the manufacturers disk supplied, if you don't want to continue with the win 8 upgrade version? I am slightly confused by this

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

estuary

As long as you are not running the Windows 8 upgrade your Windows 7 licence is still valid - you can install it again.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Odd that. Both Windows 7 and it's upgrade to Windows 8 work happily side by side on my PC. The only problem was that when I booted from Windows 7 early on it didn't like the 'modified' NTFS files of Windows 8 so it tried to repair them! Had to reinstall Windows 8 again:-(

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Pine Man, possibly because it's the same PC. I installed Win 7, trial period so no key inputted, and Win 8 had no problems activating. The only thing with this upgrade is that it its treated as OEM. From what I've read it will be tied to the motherboard.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September