We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What Is Secure Boot?

Quickbeam
Resolved

Likes # 0

And do I have to have it to run W8?

After looking again at what isn't compatible for W8 on my PC, it's mainly old software that I can live without. That only leaves the Secure Boot incompatibility issue when I run the W8 assistant along with the possibility of needing a DVD playing app.

On the more info link in that assistant, this page comes up, but doesn't tell me if I need it or not. Leaving me unsure weather I can upgrade or not.

Does anyone know if I can?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I keep looking at various confusing pages on secure boot, but they all seem to be concerned with Linux installations.

I can't see a definate Yes I can install W8 or a No I can't install W8. Or if I can't, if there any workaround solution.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Have a read of this page which suggests it is a feature of Windows 8 which determines what software can or cannot be run. Having said that, I haven't had a problem installing and running any of the programs that I usually use.

Like this post
daconnor

Likes # 0

Both my laptop and desktop PC's had the Secure Boot issue flagged by the W8 assistant but in both cases the upgrade completed successfully and all seems to be fine.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Put simply it only applies to PC's with newer UEFI type BIOS and prevents malware in the boot sector area of hard disks. If you have older type BIOS then it will install without problem.Basically nothing to worry about.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Thanks for those answers, the upgrade assistant software didn't make it simply clear that it would or wouldn't install, and for all the web pages of bumf on secure boot, all I wanted was a simple yes or no.

I'll give it a whirl this weekend now.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...