We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Thinking of upgradting to W/8

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

I was on the verge of updating to W/8 this morning when I realised that I was going to loose quite a few security programs etc that I had downloaded from giveaway of the day.

Now you cannot reinstall them as they have to be downloaded and used within 24 hours.

Is there a way of transferring them to W/8 without loosing them.

I understand Windows Defender[MSE] comes with W/8 Can I dump it straight away or do I need to use it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok got it up and running now and anyone thinking about saving files and folders when downloading W/8 would be better ignoreing them and just do a clean install over W/7 or whatever you are using.

It is a bit complicated and no doubt I will get used to it after a while.

Stll not sure how you remove anything that you are looking at.Normally you would just hit the Red Exe to close anything.This does not have that but early days yet.

Managed eventually to download Emisoft anti malware but everything seems to take ages to download.Google seems to take forever so tried bing and that was a bit quicker.

At the moment if I had a choice I would have stuck with W/7 but W/8 might just grow on me as I get used to it.

There is no All programs on it you have to go elsewhere where there is a page of icons that you have to choose from and hope that you have the correct one.

Just trial and error just now but at least I am beginning to get the hang of it a bit better.

Overall review would be to say it is complicated and W/7 is much easier to use and you have to ask is it worth £25, I think they got the price just about right.If it was more expensive and they would not have got nearly as many buyers.

So anyone sitting on the fence wondering what to do I would leave it for another couple of weeks at least till you get more reviews.I am lucky enough to have another computer with W/7 on it so I can use that if need be.

You need to sign into it every time you switch it on but I do believe you can get out of that fairly easily.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Sorry should have said you can use the red X on I/E or Firefox it is just e-mails and things like that that do not have the close or red x.just a matter of finding out how to do it at the moment.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to the Windows 8 forum from Tech helproom.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Jock1e , if you take the cursor to bottom left corner, where start is, then up vertically, you'll get a bar up showing all open windows/apps. You can left click to select to open another window or right click to close.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days