We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Thinking of upgradting to W/8

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

I was on the verge of updating to W/8 this morning when I realised that I was going to loose quite a few security programs etc that I had downloaded from giveaway of the day.

Now you cannot reinstall them as they have to be downloaded and used within 24 hours.

Is there a way of transferring them to W/8 without loosing them.

I understand Windows Defender[MSE] comes with W/8 Can I dump it straight away or do I need to use it.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

You could do an in place upgrade which will give you the option of keeping all your existing programs, files folders etc. What are the programs you think you might loose, Windows defender that comes with Win8 is actually Microsoft Security Essentials, their free antivirus program.

You don't need to use the built in defender antivirus / or firewall programs if you want to install something else.

Your best option at the moment if you haven't already done so is to download and run the Microsoft Windows 8 upgrade advisor and see what it tells you about your hardware and programs.

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I upgraded my 32-bit laptop but only selected to keep my personal files. Photos etc and the install was ok. Had a few teething problems, video driver and windows update. When I installed Avast it automatically disabled Defender. It's running smoothly now.

As for upgrading the Desktop then that was another matter. Decided to keep all of the applications and data on my old hard drive during install and that was a mistake. Firstly Avast was running but so was Defender and security centre would report no AV if I disabled Defender. IE 10, WLM and Firefox went belly up and I couldn't get them running. Luckily I had Safari so could still get on line. Paragon's latest version 12 was totally incompatible.

Took me 15 mins to be back to Windows 7 via an image file. Have emailed Paragon to see what they suggest but if I'm going to upgrade again I'll not be carrying over anything.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok thanks for the information.Maybe I should just start afresh then and get rid of everything.

I can always reinstall my Eset Security Center and my anti malware program.

Will see what tomorrow brings.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[ you can make your own DVD from the downloaded file]

Got that from another part of the forum.So looks like I will have to buy some DVD's just to be in the safe side.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Got most of the information required so will class as resolved.

Like this post  
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13

Just had the same problem with my desktop installing W/8 and keeping files and folders.I did turn my security program off so thought that I would have a better chance of success than you had.

Just about finished and it went into a black screen and never came out of it.

Managed to get into taskmanager and safe mode.A couple of yellow exclamation marks on device manager.They were duplicates of the ones beside them.

Had to delete them and hope for the best and rebooted.It started ok but just could not get it to connect to the internet.

So I have just decided to reinstall it without the files and folders so will see what happens after that is finished.

So anyone else thinking of upgrading maybe best doing it without saving files or folders.

It never gave me the oppertunity of burning it to a DVD.It just downloaded it.

I can only assume as it never finished running something must have been left unfinished.

SFC /Scannow found no problems.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Back on 8 on desktop just now. Paragon informed me to download another version of 12. Will see how it goes. You will be able to get the DVD iso, if you missed it, via the email you got for the key. Have a look.

Will leave Defender running for now as I want to install latest Paragon to see if right version. It's all fun and games :).

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Yes I was messing around for about 2-3 hours with mine before I decided to install it again.lets hope I don't get the same problem again.

Unless there was something missing from mine I was not that impressed with it.Maybe once I get used to it it may grow on me.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I do admire those who go for these new OS's quite early on. I prefer to wait a year or so to see how it goes. Could anyone summarise the "better " features of W8 vs W7 64 bit for those who do not need a touch screen? I may wait until I buy a new PC...

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

john bunyan

The only problem with that is we might not be around in a few years.

I just wanted to see how good it was.I know I was well chuffed with W/7 when I installed that.

Getting to cold to go out so thought why not it would give me something to do.

Getting rid of the old files and folders is taking ages.Started it about 5pm and it is only done 59% so far.So it may be a late night tonight.

Not really had a good look at W/8 yet but was not overwhelmed by the parts I did see.Once it is up and running I will have a better idea.

No all programs on it like W/7 and found it hard just getting into safe mode.

It is far more complicated than W/7 but probably be ok once I get the hang of it.

Just keep the cash in your pocket just now but remember it is only cheap till January I think then it will go to it's full price.

If you are thinking of buying a new computer it will come with W/8 on it so no problem with downloads.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote