We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is Windows 8 worth getting?

steve263000

Likes # 0

I am thinking of getting a new desktop in the future, as I find my laptop a bit small these days. It works OK and has W7, but I feel like a change. Do I REALLY need one? No not really, but that is rarely the point is it.

My question of course is, Windows 8. I will want a desktop if I change and I have read on here that it is designed more for the tablet etc. Does it work well on the desktops.

And more importantly can I transfer all my W7 stuff to W8? All the programs and music and photos and videos that I use now, is there a transfer system to the new OS?

I won't buy in any case until the fuss and price has gone down next year, but I thought I would post to see what the forums think.

Like this post
ordep

Likes # 0

There's a review on 'Click' at the moment, worth a look'see. Spencer Kelly wasn't overly impressed.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Moved to our Windows 8 help forum from Tech Consumer Advice.

Like this post
Angry Kid

Likes # 0

steve263000,

Early days yet and still playing around but my initial thoughts are this is well worth doing.

So far a happy user after moving from Windows 7 Pro.

Angry

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

Thanks for the response all. Any more would be appreciated.

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

And more importantly can I transfer all my W7 stuff to W8? All the programs and music and photos and videos that I use now, is there a transfer system to the new OS?

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/29/windows-8-help/4182723/is-windows-8-worth-getting/?pn=1#ixzz2AcW0uDdZ

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

The price of Win8 won't go down in the new year it will go UP. Microsoft are doing special offers up until January. After that date the price will go up the upgrade if you have a qualifying product installed already is £24.99 you can make your own DVD from the downloaded file. If you want to buy an actual disc it will cost you £49.99 there are no retail versions at the moment, there will be an OEM (system builder) later on that will be about £120

Regards

Aquatarkus

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I've tried the release preview an I won't be upgrading, even though I have | a touchscreen laptop which qualifies for a free upgrade.

Like this post
hunts

Likes # 0

Is the disk for only one upgrade or can it be used on more than one?

Like this post
mbc

Likes # 0

I recently bought a new pc with the option of upgrading to Win 8 for £14.99. I ran the compatability check and was disgusted to see just how many of my progs are not compatable, so presumably will not run. I am talking hundreds of pounds to replace perfectly working progs. Will think very carefully before buying, or will run dual boot system, in which case Win 8 will be not much more than a plaything.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

hunts

You can only use it on one machine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?