We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Trying To Activate Windows 8

RussB78

Likes # 0

Hi All,

I`ve been trying to activate Windows 8 but theres no way will it accept the ID Numbers from the Email I received when I purchased it.

Can anyone give any advice regarding this problem, a telephone number or anything that might help.

This is the second time I`ve written this out and tried to post it on this Forum today, maybe second time lucky..

Many Thanks

Russell

Like this post
RussB78

Likes # 0

Please ignore one of these postings, it`s like playing Silly Games trying to use thes Forums.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Huh...?

Like this post
RussB78

Likes # 0

Quickbeam,

Many Thanks for that.. it must have taken a lot of thought.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It must be activated as Win 8 won't allow installation without the key and you get notified if it's OK. If you go to system you need to wait a bit for it to show as activated.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just remembered your other post about the Windows old folder. Wonder if it is anything to do with doing a clean install instead of an upgrade, if that's the version you have?

Like this post
RussB78

Likes # 0

Hi RDave13

I did now write a good bit regarding this Windows 8 for you but it all just vanished off the screen, I will just say that if you do a clean install there is no way of getting it activated.

On The part of Microsoft where I got there were some very angry users swaying none of us had been told about this in any review, and it was wrong to sell Windows 8 like that.

I will have to get back to my Laptop now to see how things are, I regret to say that I bought Two Copies of Windows 8, and really do regret it, but I did like the OS and did want to use it on my Computers.

Many Thanks

Russell

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try running the upgrade again within the windows 8 clean install. It might work then. It's worth a try. I upgraded from a trial Win 7 (no key) installation and worked.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

RussB78

Are you trying to do an upgrade of a previous installation (WinXP, Vista or 7)or are you trying to do a clean install. when you start the installation it will ask you for the product key, you can't go any further without that product key. You MUST put the product key in for the installation to proceed When the installation has finished the system will immediately try to activate when it is connected to the internet. If you go to Control Panel then System or right click the bottom left hand corner of your start screen and select system it will tell you if windows is activated. Has the installation picked up all your hardware including the wireless and network cards, can you actually go on line?

You can do a clean install from the upgrade media it will give you the option if you ant to upgrade of perform an advanced install where you get the option to format the drive you are installing it on. where did you get Win8 from was it via the download links via the upgrade advisor or have you brought a dvd from a store

Regards

Aquatarkus

Like this post
RussB78

Likes # 0

Hi all

Aqutarkus, I did all that and more and it did not make the slightest difference, one way I was left with the Windows Old folder which will not delete, and believe me I have tried. and the Clean install will not let you Activate it even as I have been on to Microsoft.

I do appreciate what you have said, but on each install you have to put in your ID Number at thhe start of the installation, and if its an upgrade from Vista Or any other OS it shoves the upgraded OS into a Folder Named Windows Old which will not DELETE, A Clean Install Activates provided you hyave accepted most of Microsofts Bits "n" Pieces, otherwise it will not activate.

I repeat, Now all my stuff works just fine I am now Acctivated my Email Works and I can go on line, but only because I accepted Nearly everything that Microsoft wanted to put on my Laptop, a lot of junk that I will never use.

Thats me lot.

Many Thanks for all your interest.

Russell

Like this post
RussB78

Likes # 0

Hi all

Aqutarkus, I did all that and more and it did not make the slightest difference, one way I was left with the Windows Old folder which will not delete, and believe me I have tried. and the Clean install will not let you Activate it even as I have been on to Microsoft.

I do appreciate what you have said, but on each install you have to put in your ID Number at thhe start of the installation, and if its an upgrade from Vista Or any other OS it shoves the upgraded OS into a Folder Named Windows Old which will not DELETE, A Clean Install Activates provided you hyave accepted most of Microsofts Bits "n" Pieces, otherwise it will not activate.

I repeat, Now all my stuff works just fine I am now Acctivated my Email Works and I can go on line, but only because I accepted Nearly everything that Microsoft wanted to put on my Laptop, a lot of junk that I will never use.

Thats me lot.

Many Thanks for all your interest.

Russell

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad