We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

restore a user account in windows 7 and restore lost files and folders

jwupsall

Likes # 0

I have lost my user account and folders and files, music and pictures . I have tried system restore but no success. Can anyone help. I need the folders as have business stuff in.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

You really should tell us how you lost the files.

How did you lose your user account? Have you changed your user ID? Did they not appear when you booted/logged on? Did you lose them as a result of the PC being shut down unexpectedly or crashing? Were they deleted?

All the above are important if you want help in attempting to recover/regain the data.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I forgot the most important question, have you backed up your data?

Like this post
jwupsall

Likes # 0

I was removing I tunes files from temp folder as requested then rebooted and lost everything. I have a back up but April 2012.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Have you tried logging on as 'Administrator' and searching for the files?

If your 'Administrator account is inactive try opening a Command Prompt with administrator privileges (i.e.: open windows start, enter "cmd" into the search field, , right-click on the found icon, and select 'Run as Administrator'.

At the command prompt enter:

'net user administrator /active:yes'

You should then see an option for the Administrator account which should allow access to everything on the PC - so be careful what you change!!

To disable the account enter:

'net user administrator /active:no'

April seems a long time ago for your last backup. Monthly is more common and for important data at least weekly - some people do it far more frequently.

Like this post
kinley

Likes # 0

Hello dude, lost all your data due to virus attack or any unknown reasons, no problem, here i have the solution by which you recover all your lost data. The one which I suggest is lost data recovery tool for your problem which can recover lost data from both Windows and Mac. For download click here . Any queries come back to me

Like this post
dusterrenault

Likes # 0

System Restore never affects personal files, such as documents or photos. You can restore files that you have deleted if you have backup of those files or you can use data recovery software like Kernel for Windows Data Recovery for recovering deleted files.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you checked the recycle bin to see if they are still in there.

maybe this could help.

Recuva

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ops sorry just noticed it is an old thread so Ignore.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'