We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WINDOWS 8 FIRST RUN EEK

pk46

Likes # 0

After giving Windows 8 an 9 hour run i must say at least for me i was more than glad to get back to W7. There was to many apps internet Explorer was a pain to use as was loading files from my back up HD and as for having to keep clicking the right corners of the screen to get to settings and powerdown is also a pain. I just can not see it ever catching on in work places. Tis kind of OS may be good on Windows tablets or smart phones but it is not an OS for desk tops or laptops,W8 is on QVC to night so it will be interesting to see HOW THEY JAZZ UP THIS W8 OS UP.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It's early days, and the Windows 8 is different to what you've been used to - give it some time.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"give it some time." is that the modern code for "aquired taste"?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm giving it time and time. Trouble with windows update and got that fixed, graphics drivers and got that fixed, device manager installed the correct driver for sound. Had a heck of time to install dot net framework 3 point something to get ThinkBroadband's download meter to work. Finding stuff is becoming easier and my worst fears is that Paragon Hard drive manager 12 suit appears to be uncompatible. We'll see.

Otherwise it is a great improvement over Vista.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

rdave13

Otherwise it is a great improvement over Vista.

But what about Windows 7? Is it a great improvement over that? Is there any killer feature that would make me as a desktop PC user want to switch to 8?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Flak999, absolutely not in my view. Bear in mind my situation. Old Compaq laptop, reckon 5 to 6 years old an ran Vista SP2. I doubled the ram and did the usual clean-ups and disabled this and that. Still thrashing the hard drive. So I installed Win 7 without key and improvement was noticeable in speed of use. Just before the 30 day trial was up I installed Win 8 upgrade. A few problems with updates and video drivers but nothing major. If you're thinking of upgrading then you can pay for the upgrade and at the end of the download you can selectt a USB or iso file to keep until you might want to install 8. It's certainly a learning curve with 8 but everything in 7 is still there if you can find it. :)

Like this post
pk46

Likes # 0

rdave13 Did you have a problem also with Flash Player??,I see today that there is a update but not on the Adobe website.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Flash was already installed, no mention in updates. Will check flash tomorrow. Java had to be enabled but that was already up to date. Won't install flash player from anywhere but from Adobe site.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woody

"give it some time." is that the modern code for "aquired taste"?

Not really.

Every time there's a launch of a new Windows version we get some people in the forum the next day saying 'I've tried it and I don't like it, I'm going back to (whatever their previous installation was)'. Later on things tend to settle, and some of those people find that they revert to the new version and give it a longer try out.

Windows 8 may be a success, or it may not - it's far too early to tell - but a nine hour run is hardly long enough to accustom yourself to a new operating system.

Like this post
jackladd

Likes # 0

9 hours ,maybe not ,but the truth is ,that this new OS is aimed squarely at tablets and laptops with touchscreens ,I have been running it for around 7 weeks "the full RTM version " and i am very dissappointed with the user interface ,I use a desktop with a very expensive large screen for my photo editing ,its not touchscreen and even if it was I would not want fingerprints all over the screen i was trying to use to process my photographs . also even in normal everyday use ,with a desktop and large screen its a pain with a mouse ,but I would quickly end up with aching arms using a large touchscreen . dont get me wrong ,its quicker than win 7 and has some good security ,and is quite modern in use as well as looks ,but its definately not aimed at desktops especially with large monitors . fortunately there are a few add on programs , "classic shell" being the most well known ,that are free ,and allow any of us who want the "start" button back and do away with the metro interface ,and "hot corners" allowing us with desktop PCs to get by without having to swing our arms about and still benefit from the quicker more efficient windows 8. I just cannot figure why Microsoft did not offer an alternative interface for users ,unless they know deep down that most users would opt for that and spoil their vision of a world doomed to use their over colorful and invasive "Metro " interface . I wont use it ,i am happy with windows 8 as an OS ,but will never use such an interface on a desktop PC .

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Because none of my hardware is suitable for an easy W8 upgrade, I've only had a play with W8 in PC World.

Apart from the different start screen, it's not so different really, and certainly not scarey.

I'll wait until the 6 month price drop comes along and buy a W8 tablet with about a 12" screen. I'll also wait until whatever I buy came from the factory with W8 installed and built with W8 in mind. I've made the mistake before by buying a reduced price old stock computer with an old OS installed with an upgrade voucher and found problems (It was Vista, say no more). I want it on W8 out of the box up and running, and built primarily for W8 and upgradable to W9 and beyond!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015