We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Left mouse button has stopped working !

Paul33

Likes # 0

The left mouse button on my son'r desktop has bizarely stopped working. Right button is fine and the mose works fine in every other response except the left click which does nothing.

I have tried two other mouses (mice !) from around the house and all of them have no left click so it seems to be a software problem somewhere.

I went into Control Panel and reversed the left/right click functionality and now the right button DOES work perfectly as the left button should but I don't really want to leave it that way.

All are optical devices and the only change he has made recently is replacing his keyboard which had suddenly died.

Any ideas ?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Some things to try:-

Go into mouse properties - is click lock checked? If so, uncheck it. If not check it to see what happens.

Check in Device Manager to see that there are not two conflicting mouse drivers installed for some reason.

Update mouse driver.

Take the batteries out of the mouse for a while and then replace them.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Are you using PS/2 or USB mice? I'm wondering if perhaps the socket on the motherboard has somehow been damaged. If PS/2, have you checked you haven't got the keyboard plugged in the wrong sockets? (Not sure what effect it would have if you did).

Other things I can suggest:

Try booting from a CD / DVD. If you have a Windows 7 disk use that. If not, download and make a Linux Live disc. If the mouse works when booting from disk then you can be certain it's a software fault. If it doesn't then you know there's a hardware fault somewhere (probably the motherboard).

If you determine it's software, maybe you could try uninstalling the mouse driver using Device Manager. I'd expect it to automatically reinstall upon reboot, but it's not something I've ever had a need to do before so I'm not 100% sure.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED