We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will you be installing Windows 8 next weekend?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The new version of Windows launches in three days time, and lots of people will find themselves faced with an unfamiliar interface. It's bound to raise a crop of questions, and this is the place to ask them.

Microsoft has sold 630 million Windows 7 licenses to date, and it's going to be interesting to see how many people make the upgrade move. let us have your thoughts - positive or negative.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

RDAVE -I think we may be at crossed purposes. I have not thought/intention of selling software/hardware - I always give my old equipment away schools/people in need. The discussion was/is -can you have/use an "upgrade" and NOT have the original OS.I say an upgrade needs you to have the old OS - not just to bypass the inherent security for a short time while loading but all the time you are using the "Upgrade".

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Everything I read states that you have to an existing copy of an OS installed on your computer such as XP, Vista, windows7, etc.

When you install your Windows 8 Upgrade Version you will be given the choice to either carry out an upgrade or a clean install.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

woody , you are quite right.

The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way.

From here.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woody

I think you're failing to grasp the point on this.

If you want to use an upgrade version of Windows 8 you must already have an earlier version of Windows running on the computer, but.... the Windows 8 installer will overwrite the previous version; it will no longer run, and therefore you may install the software on another machine using the licence key that comes with it.

If you want to operate a dual-boot system, so the earlier version is still available to you on the Windows 8 machine you will obviously not be licensed to install the earlier version on another computer.

I hope that makes the situation clear - the golden rule is that a single copy of any Windows version may only be used on one computer. Before you can install on a second machine you must uninstall on the first machine, and an upgrade version will do that by default.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

rdave13

That's very interesting, and if it's a fact it is a departure from previous versions of the Microsoft license.

I'm contacting the Microsoft Press team for clarification.

*Update note at 14:11 I have now spoken to a Microsoft representative, and she is going to try to get an early answer on this for me. Watch this space.*

Like this post
wizzboy

Likes # 0

after given window 8 pro a go, i have to say that i dont like it, and will be sticking to window 7, if you have to use window 8, then to get the best use of it you will have to buy a touch screen, it load up ok, but it did not like the L.G FLAT SCREEN, apart from that every thing worked ok, if i had to bet money it would be to say window 8 will flop big time, by wizzboy

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"to get the best use of it you will have to buy a touch screen,"

I have two (three if you count my Acer dual screen).

Windows 8 will not install with one, and renders another one inoperative as a touch screen.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Forum Editor, thanks for making enquiries about this. The answer will be interesting.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

When did MS update their £25 upgrade download page? I was about until after 01:30 last night and it still wasn't live.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED