We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will you be installing Windows 8 next weekend?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The new version of Windows launches in three days time, and lots of people will find themselves faced with an unfamiliar interface. It's bound to raise a crop of questions, and this is the place to ask them.

Microsoft has sold 630 million Windows 7 licenses to date, and it's going to be interesting to see how many people make the upgrade move. let us have your thoughts - positive or negative.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'll be installing it on an old Vista compaq laptop. Trying out 7 on it at the moment and the difference is noticeable. Won't be upgrading main desktop.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

No - I will allow you lot find out the snags - only changes my spare desktop to Win7 last week.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

I see PCA are showing - Win 8 pro UPGRADE - £50 - and win 8 oem £76.49. - and win 8 pro oem £110.Those are from stores -direct is cheaper. Why would any one pay for an oem if it is the same (stand alone) as an "UPGRADE"?

I will be buying win 8 - not to use - dont like it - but there will be tweaks to remove the stuff i do not like! I need to read the licence as there are conflicting comments regarding "Upgrade" and above pricing tends to confirm an upgrade is not a stand alone OS. If any one has the end user licence - i would like to read it.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

The UK upgrade for download from Microsoft is, I believe, £24.99. It can be installed 'cleanly' as a standalone os.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Further to the above this 'offer' lasts until January 2013.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woody

Why would any one pay for an oem if it is the same (stand alone) as an "UPGRADE"?

It isn't the same. An Upgrade version requires that a previous version of Windows is already installed on the computer. The OEM version is designed to install on a bare hard drive.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"To install Windows 8 Pro, customers must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista or Windows 7."This from MS store.

FE"An Upgrade version requires that a previous version of Windows is already installed on the computer." I think we now agree - how can you sell the old OS and still have it to install the new one?

Or do you all only install an OS once in the life of a PC?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

how can you sell the old OS and still have it to install the new one?. Where's that come from?

PC has XP SP3. Upgrade Win 8. Make sure running OK. Make clone. Some Hard drive managers now allow to clone OS regardless of hardware with drivers installed later. Sell XP SP3 if you can get a buyer. I can't see a problem here with the difference with upgrade and OEM.

Win 8 is only different to the others as you cannot make a clean install with an upgrade unless you have an older version or the same version of Windows. Win 8 won't allow you to install without a key so creating a clean install, using an upgrade disc initially, is not available as it was with the other versions of windows.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Rdave13 - If you have the type of OS (full retail) to be able to sell -you can not keep/use copies/clones or whatever else you want to call them!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Yes. So what is the question? Upgrade then clone to have a backup on your PC. Some hard disk managers today will backup the OS to be put onto a new hardware system regardless of drivers. You might have to research this.

Migrate existing systems and make them bootable in a new hardware environment

From here.

If you're still puzzled then buy the full version of Windows 8 and get as much as you can for your old OS. Simples. :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room