We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Removal of unwanted home page.

isititis

Likes # 0

Evening all, A search engine home.sweetim.com opens up every time I boot up. I use google as my home page and I don't use emoticons, as an answer on PCA to someone else with the same problem seems to suggest. I have done a virus scan and scanned with SAS, MAM and Spybot S&D but it doesn't show in any of the scans. Help is needed here, so does anyone know how to deal with this.

Thank you in advance

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

If this is fairly recent, try a System Restore back to before this started.

Like this post
isititis

Likes # 0

Hi Nontek, Thanks for your suggestion which I have tried. Unfortunately, for some reason, System Restore will not restore to when it first began, which was about 5/6 days ago.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Follow the instructions (has screenshots) on ClickHere with the exception of downloading and buying their anti program (not necessary you've already got Mbam Malwarbytes)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Forgot this bit: look in Control Panel for a program called 'SweetIM', or 'Macromedia SweetIM' and remove it. Got that bit from BeepingComputer.com

Like this post
isititis

Likes # 0

Hi lotvic, Thanks for your 'ClickHere' which I printed off. The instructions have worked for IE, so that when I click the IE icon at the bottom left hand corner Google opens up, which is what I want. The tools icon in Google looks like a cog. To the right of the IE icon is a circular muti-coloured icon, which I assume to be Chrome. What happens when I click that icon I find really confusing, the sweetIm search engine shows on top of Google. The only way I can get rid of it is to go the little greyed 'x' that turns red when the pointer is put on it and left click. This allows Google Chrome to show. In Chrome Settings > Search, if I click the area that say Google, a number of search engines appear, one of which is SweetIm Search. How do I get rid of it in Google Chrome? I am tempted to uninstall Chrome via the Control Panel and reinstall it, but am unsure that that would solve the issue. Please advise. Thank you.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I found a youtube vid that takes you through all the steps to clear sweetim from pc and for 3 browsers, IE, Firefox and Chrome. ClickHere the vid has no sound and goes quite quick, I had to use the pause button a few times to get what was shown. You could take screenshot when it is paused or download the vid and then play it on pc and pause to take screenshots of setting/bits you want to refer to save as a pic and print them out.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

this is the homepage for that youtube vid it also has the vid and instuctions, free-uninstall.org

Like this post
isititis

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic. I have to go out right now, but will try at first op.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

None of that is guaranteed to work, according to what I've found it's a beggar to get rid of :(

Keep you eye on this thread http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4181243/sweetpacks-1-programme--what-is-it/ which has just been posted and is same problem.

Like this post
isititis

Likes # 0

lotvic. Apologies for delay in responding. I had problems removing SweetIm from Chrome. I am running Win 7, so here's what I done. Backed up first. Removed anything that referred to SweetIm in Control Panel and restarted. When Chrome was started SweetIm was still there, on top of Chrome. Went back to Control Panel and uninstalled Chrome. Restarted and installed Chrome. I then went to Settings/On Startup/Open a specific page or set of pages/Click Set Pages and typed in Google.co.uk This seems to have worked. However, as the Registry is something I don't mess with, it is reasonable to assume that SweetIm is still lodged in there. I typed into Search Programs and Files SweetIm and nothing shows. Views please.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers