We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 upgrade

Ford Prefect 01

Likes # 0

Hi there

I am considering taking up the £49 offer at Amazon. If I upgrade will I be able to use my Windows 7 disc in another computer?

Many thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

woody , thank for the clarification, much appreciated. As I'll be replacing Vista I don't really care and besides I have a short memory so will forget this posting sooner rather than later.

Like this post
Ford Prefect 01

Likes # 0

Oh well this is even less clear now!!

I'll just give it a whirl and if one of the machines stops I'll just reinstall XP on the netbook.

Many thanks anyway

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I have a laptop that originally came with Vista installed, and upgraded to Windows 7 with an upgrade disk.

Can I upgrade to Windows 8 on top of that, or would I need to revert to the original Vista OS? And is there any advantage of one over the other if either option is available?

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Quickbeam - you can upgrade from your current OS but need to keep the old vista and win7. Upgrade from 7 as that will have your recent work on it.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Do you know if the £25 upgrades will allow me to create a bootable disk and have a clean install option without the baggage of several years worth of W7 updates and service packs?

Like this post
Ford Prefect 01

Likes # 0

I appear to have been hijacked now so I'll just try it and see.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The security on cars of your vintage was never good enough to stop an easy hijacking;)

I only added to it because it was closely related enough without having yet another W8 upgrade thread started FP.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Ford Prefect 01 , sorry for this one, to Quickbeam , see page 9 here.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave13, I'll read that up later.

Ford Prefect 01, I've put the keys back under the sun visor!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

As I've already stated, you can use your original Windows 7 DVD on another computer, once you install Windows 8 - provided you don't select an option to keep your Windows 7 installation during the Windows 8 installation process. That's an option in the Pro version of Windows 8.

If you buy the Pro version and you want to keep Windows 7 as well, you cannot install it on a second machine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'