We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to run Steam on a limited account

Pastie2k

Likes # 0

My son's account was limited, but after I installed Steam for him, he had to use "Run as" and then get me to enter my Admin account details so that he could run it. This was getting tedious so I changed his account to an Admin type. Is there a way to put his account back to Limited (Family Safety will then work again) and still run Steam without using "Run as" and me entering details every time?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You need to share the program - this is how you do it in Vista. enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

For Windows 7 - enter link description here

When you download and install a program it normally gives you an option to install for current user OR all users. Look out for that option in the future.

Like this post
Pastie2k

Likes # 0

I did install it for "all users", he has the shortcut on his desktop. When he tries to use Steam (obtained from store.steampowered.com) on his limited account it didn't work, but if we use "run as" and enter my admin details it works fine. So i changed his account to admin type and Steam works fine, only problem with him having an admin account is Microsoft Family Safety doesn't work now. I'm after a solution as to how to use Steam on a limited account without me entering my admin details every time.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try right click on the shortcut on desktop - properties - security - under Group or User Names change permissions to give FULL control.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Can you edit the account to allow steam? Anything here?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK